It has the finest sensors and processing systems in the world:

AN/SPY-1D 3D Radar
AN/SPS-67(V)2 Surface Search Radar
AN/SPS-73(V)12 Surface Search Radar
AN/SPG-62 Fire Control Radar
AN/SQS-53C Sonar Array
AN/SQR-19 Tactical Towed Array Sonar
AN/SQQ-28 LAMPS III Shipboard System

Unfortunately it cannot detect humongous Philippine cargo ships heading straight for it in plain sight.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Trump's Navy :lol:

Posted by .
Unregistered

Both ships were in restricted waters heading northeast in a busy shipping lane at night- so not lots of room for error. Looks like the inbound large container ship was off course heading for the northern shoals of Toshima Island. I’m estimating the Navy ship was about 2 miles behind. I’m assuming the speed of both ships was about 15 knots. The ACX Crystal decided to come about to the left on a reciprocal southwest course, setting up a head-on “meeting situation” with the USS Fitzgerald, as defined in 1972 Collision Regulations (COLREGS, aka The Rules of the Road). This maneuver surely surprised the Navy ship. Traveling two miles at a combined relative speed of 30 knots would take 3 minutes and 29 seconds, so everyone asking HOW could this happen, I hope those numbers puts the scenario in perspective. In a meeting situation, COLREGS dictates both ships turns to the right- there’s a saying we mariners use: “go right and you never go wrong”.

REMEMBER, only 3 minutes to react, and get out of this mess. Stopping is not an option because it takes a long time to slow down the merchant ships 30000 tons At this point (in my estimation, with very little data known to me), I’m not sure what happened, but it looks like the merchant turns LEFT.

Why would the merchant ship turn left? I don’t know. A few possibilities include:
1. Navy ship turned right, then merchant turned left, then navy ship turns left to clear bow but collide at a perpendicular angle.
2. Merchant ship turned left, then Navy ship turned right , then Navy ship alters course to left to clear bow, but collide at a perpendicular angle.

I believe scenario number 1 is the most probable.

My thoughts and prayers are with the seven sailors and their families.

Posted by .
Unregistered

You'd get an alert from the radar system if the path of another ship was on a collision course.

Posted by .
Unregistered

They should install Tesla autopilot hardware and software so the crew can kick back and relax while they safely reach their destination in the safety of a computer.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Thanks Trump

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: They should install Tesla autopilot hardware and software so the crew can kick back and relax while they safely reach their destination in the safety of a computer.

What makes you so sure some of the state of the art bullshit didn't actually cause this accident?

Posted by .
Unregistered

Russians interfered with the radar!
 \
:hillary:

Posted by .
Unregistered

8 years of an Oniger led Navy ...

:facepalm:

ook ook, muh teleprompter broky! :jump:
\
:obama:

Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered

Why would the Sepp Navy name a ship after the Edmund Fitzgerald anyway.  It's just asking for trouble and Gordon Lightfoot hasn't had a hit in years.

Posted by .
Unregistered

teapots.nli said: Why would the Sepp Navy name a ship after the Edmund Fitzgerald anyway.  It's just asking for trouble and Gordon Lightfoot hasn't had a hit in years.

Well, it looks like the Fitzgerald just became a hit again

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.