Topic: Bluegrass pretty much all sounds the same, like some other genres
Posted by ArmchairCritic
Unregistered

in the past I talked about Blues, Zydeco and Mexican music

Now, I just heard some bluegrass on NPR and it hit me that it all kind of sounds the same.

And the libs think this "roots music" is so amazing.  Bore me to tears

Posted by .
Unregistered

it just sounds like someone plucking a bunch of rubberbands

:fap:

Posted by .
Unregistered

ArmchairCritic said: in the past I talked about Blues, Zydeco and Mexican music

Now, I just heard some bluegrass on NPR and it hit me that it all kind of sounds the same.

And the libs think this "roots music" is so amazing.  Bore me to tears

­hi James

Posted by .Dean Wray
Unregistered

I have played bluegrass with others and in bands for many years, but I am different from a lot of of bluegrass players, in that I listen to other types of music, and in fact just consider myself a musician. Many of the players in this style, and others( i.e. Blues) I have played, seem to feel a need to have a purists' sensibility, and will block out other styles. I personally feel the infusion is a good thing to create freshness and potentially great hybrid sounds.  I do think Bluegrass suffers from sameness. Some could say that's a statement of someone that doesn't know the music, but I actually do know it very well. I do think it is a scene and sound that has become very narrowly channeled and unnecessarily limited in sound and style. I also think Bluegrass on digital recording takes  away the good natural organic qualities of the sound.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Listen to Allison Krauss and Union Station do "Heaven's Bright Shore"

Posted by .
Unregistered

.Dean Wray said: I have played bluegrass with others and in bands for many years, but I am different from a lot of of bluegrass players, in that I listen to other types of music, and in fact just consider myself a musician. Many of the players in this style, and others( i.e. Blues) I have played, seem to feel a need to have a purists' sensibility, and will block out other styles. I personally feel the infusion is a good thing to create freshness and potentially great hybrid sounds.  I do think Bluegrass suffers from sameness. Some could say that's a statement of someone that doesn't know the music, but I actually do know it very well. I do think it is a scene and sound that has become very narrowly channeled and unnecessarily limited in sound and style. I also think Bluegrass on digital recording takes  away the good natural organic qualities of the sound.

Wow, finally something on this board I agree with. I got to play a lot of different genres and when I would sit in and play with bluegrass players, they were always the biggest assholes and snobs. They had a sense of entitlement because they were playing something "traditional" and they acted like what they played was the only thing that mattered.

What made it worse was most of this was after Oh Brother Where Art Though came out so Bluegrass was being played everywhere and every country star was on stage trying to get into it on tv.

The most fun I had was playing cajun music. The musicians, even the famous acts I played with had a very carefree attitude and if it sounded good, and it worked, then they always said good for it. They weren't afraid to modernize the traditional and expand to more modern sounds.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.