Topic: No one will ever recreate the greatness FC was in the 2000-2001 era
Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:
Plenty of deep thinkers and interesting topics on the other board. You people who want to paint it as a Nazi board have some kind of agenda going on. :shrug:

­Wrong.

:rolleyes: Yeah, some mentally ill "shit biologist" who claims shit is alive and unique to deserve its own kingdom.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:
. said:
Plenty of deep thinkers and interesting topics on the other board. You people who want to paint it as a Nazi board have some kind of agenda going on. :shrug:

­Wrong.

:rolleyes: Yeah, some mentally ill "shit biologist" who claims shit is alive and unique to deserve its own kingdom.

­wat?

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:
. said:
­Wrong.

­wat?

:lol: You read my mind. WTF are you saying?

Posted by .
Unregistered

Pud isn't some twentysomething anymore, willing to break molds, upset applecarts and take risks. (And he married a dyke.)

We can't rely on him.

Posted by .
Unregistered

I do remember laughing my ass off late into the night with funny posters who weren't afraid to play along without getting nasty.

Posted by .
Unregistered

danceman,pud,KAC,inachu     all I remember.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Pud isn't some twentysomething anymore, willing to break molds, upset applecarts and take risks. (And he married a dyke.)

We can't rely on him.

He was 24 when he started FC :stunned:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
 . said: f169 is close

Very close indeed.

Not even.  The free for all atmosphere is what made FC great. That other board is anything but a free for all.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: NEVER, EVER.

What we have now are the tattered remains of what was something that was larger than life.

The only way it could be resurrected is if pud sold it.

Posted by .
Unregistered

It's over. Walk it off, Fossil Dicks. :lol:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:

­:rolleyes:

There's currently a black guy posting there who admits to wanting to kill prostitutes and who is racist against his own race. It's a scary, dangerous place. Like Stormfront was.

Posted by Original_Lonley_Guy_

. said:

­
That is almost certainly NYBoi. I am SO glad he doesn't post here anymore. :shudder:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:

­:rolleyes:

There's currently a black guy posting there who admits to wanting to kill prostitutes and who is racist against his own race. It's a scary, dangerous place. Like Stormfront was.

Sounds like an interesting thread. Probably quite a few intelligent responses as well.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
Sounds like an interesting thread. Probably quite a few intelligent responses as well.

Please put your nametag in the bowl on your way out and close the door quietly behind you when you leave.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: yOu have to have something else to bring people in which last time was a useful and funny blog on f'd tech companies.  

We don't have that here

­
That's true.  None of these spin-off boards have brought in any new posters since FC went down in 2006.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
That's true.  None of these spin-off boards have brought in any new posters since FC went down in 2006.

I have this dream of recreating FC. I got the templates from wayback. I want to build the back end in php or ruby.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
It's very close. In a year or two the traffic on F169 will probably exceed FC at its peak.

­
Not even close.  There will never be another board with that level of traffic, simply because message boards just aren't that popular these days.

And there are a lot of other modern boards that are way ahead of F169.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
I have this dream of recreating FC. I got the templates from wayback. I want to build the back end in php or ruby.

­
I can't see it happening.  The old school message boards like that are dying out anyway.  These days people hang around on Reddit sides or places like FB and Twitter.  

FC was great for it's time, but the days of message boards are over.  The only reason this place and F169 get any traffic at all is that they are full of 40-something guys reminiscing about the past.  The truth is, nobody here has the vigour anymore.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Goatse! Springsteen! Motorcycles in the mud!

Minty fresh!

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
Not even close.  There will never be another board with that level of traffic, simply because message boards just aren't that popular these days.

And there are a lot of other modern boards that are way ahead of F169.

True. Redditt and 4chan/8chan are the modern equivalent of FC.
Of course, I also miss AOLchat rooms and Friendster, so I feel really out of place online these days!

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
I can't see it happening.  The old school message boards like that are dying out anyway.  These days people hang around on Reddit sides or places like FB and Twitter.  

FC was great for it's time, but the days of message boards are over.  The only reason this place and F169 get any traffic at all is that they are full of 40-something guys reminiscing about the past.  The truth is, nobody here has the vigour anymore.

Depends on if society changes in some way; if there is another "major event".  Something on the order of 9/11, the Asian market crash, the dot-com bubble, Bush v Gore, Katrina, subprime mortgage crisis and economic meltdown, continued terror attacks...people tend to gravitate and gather under the pressures of these things.  FC gathered largely due to the dot-com bubble and all the angst and fear associated with it.  People came to blow of steam, rat their companies out, act out their angst, bitch about their spouses, get attention they couldn't get elsewhere, blow off about politics, brag, etc. 

I think there will probably be another one of these major events this year.  It might polarize some posters around a common reaction to the outside world, but I doubt it will be as glorious as FC.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
Depends on if society changes in some way; if there is another "major event".  Something on the order of 9/11, the Asian market crash, the dot-com bubble, Bush v Gore, Katrina, subprime mortgage crisis and economic meltdown, continued terror attacks...people tend to gravitate and gather under the pressures of these things.  FC gathered largely due to the dot-com bubble and all the angst and fear associated with it.  People came to blow of steam, rat their companies out, act out their angst, bitch about their spouses, get attention they couldn't get elsewhere, blow off about politics, brag, etc. 

I think there will probably be another one of these major events this year.  It might polarize some posters around a common reaction to the outside world, but I doubt it will be as glorious as FC.

­
All that stuff was 15 years ago.  Attention spans are much shorter these days.  No doubt, FC was THE place to be in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, when various news stories broke and appeared all over FC.  The fact is, this wouldn't happen if we had another 9/11 in 2016.  Most people are too lazy to read a rant of more than about two sentences, much less type one.  These days people "blow off steam" by sharing silly memes on FB, reddit or 4chan.  They gravitate to boards that allow them to post cute pictures with quotes that are often attributed to the wrong person (but nobody bothers to check their facts), and that qualifies as "political discussion" these days.

Face it, dude.  FC is over.

Posted by .
Unregistered

FC will live on, forever, in the hearts of all of us who woke up our housemates by laughing uncontrollably at threads we weren't even posting in, in the middle of the night.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:

­
All that stuff was 15 years ago.  Attention spans are much shorter these days.  No doubt, FC was THE place to be in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, when various news stories broke and appeared all over FC.  The fact is, this wouldn't happen if we had another 9/11 in 2016.  Most people are too lazy to read a rant of more than about two sentences, much less type one.  These days people "blow off steam" by sharing silly memes on FB, reddit or 4chan.  They gravitate to boards that allow them to post cute pictures with quotes that are often attributed to the wrong person (but nobody bothers to check their facts), and that qualifies as "political discussion" these days.

Face it, dude.  FC is over.

Major events continually occur throughout history.  There are more to come, but FC was a one-trick pony.  It was reflective of that era.  

What I believe will happen is that new technology will open up forums in a new way, and people will continue to seek them out using those new technologies.  

I acknowledged in my post that FC is over.  But something new will appear which will be similar.  It won't be Twitter or Reddit or anything we know of.

Posted by Original_Lonley_Guy_

. said:
Major events continually occur throughout history.  There are more to come, but FC was a one-trick pony.  It was reflective of that era.  

What I believe will happen is that new technology will open up forums in a new way, and people will continue to seek them out using those new technologies.  

I acknowledged in my post that FC is over.  But something new will appear which will be similar.  It won't be Twitter or Reddit or anything we know of.

­
The sad thing is, I firmly believe that had pud just left the forum up, it would still be there today and similarly as good.

When he closed it down, a lot of the successful people who were just blowing off steam, didn't bother finding the next board. They just went back to daily life. Those were the people who made the forum great. Not the autists, life loser women haters and racists we are mainly left with.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.