Topic: I really want acreage on a river where I can raise a little cattle and maybe a pig or two
Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said: looks good on paper OP but actually maintaining all that shit is more than a full time job for 2 or 3 people at least.

You got that right.
Raising animals is a full time job, and expensive.
Forget going on trips, you're at home, feeding the animals.
Then there are the predators.  You have to walk the fences, because your animals are always trying to bust out!

­
Finally a bit of sense. Armchair farmer watching too many episodes of Yellowstone.  :lol:

Posted by .
Unregistered

The other way I want to go is trees, walnuts and pecans and almonds and hazelnuts.  Then fruit trees, then fruit bushes like blueberries.  All stuff that's easy to pick if you raise it right.  The nut trees would be amazing, I would love to have ten acres of nuts and ten of fruit and ten of fruit/veg and then ten for chickens and beef, hopefully hire some help for that and make it worthwhile somehow.  I've heard letting your barnyard animals among your trees works out well because they spread their poop around and rub on the trunks which also stimulates growth, etc.  Of course I don't know nothing yet so there you go.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Don’t raise pigs. They escape and become feral nuisance

­roooood
\
:shitpig:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: The other way I want to go is trees, walnuts and pecans and almonds and hazelnuts.  Then fruit trees, then fruit bushes like blueberries.  All stuff that's easy to pick if you raise it right.  The nut trees would be amazing, I would love to have ten acres of nuts and ten of fruit and ten of fruit/veg and then ten for chickens and beef, hopefully hire some help for that and make it worthwhile somehow.  I've heard letting your barnyard animals among your trees works out well because they spread their poop around and rub on the trunks which also stimulates growth, etc.  Of course I don't know nothing yet so there you go.

­
Don't nut trees take a shit ton of water?

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
Finally a bit of sense. Armchair farmer watching too many episodes of Yellowstone.  :lol:

­
damn straight.  Just murder the tard next door, when there is a contract dispute.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
Don't nut trees take a shit ton of water?

­yup, a ton. and keeping bugs birds and animals off of your fruit trees is a full time job.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: The other way I want to go is trees, walnuts and pecans and almonds and hazelnuts.  Then fruit trees, then fruit bushes like blueberries.  All stuff that's easy to pick if you raise it right.  The nut trees would be amazing, I would love to have ten acres of nuts and ten of fruit and ten of fruit/veg and then ten for chickens and beef, hopefully hire some help for that and make it worthwhile somehow.  I've heard letting your barnyard animals among your trees works out well because they spread their poop around and rub on the trunks which also stimulates growth, etc.  Of course I don't know nothing yet so there you go.

I have 20 acres of olive trees, and they require yearly pruning.
Drip irrigation if you want to harvest fruit.  Ranch and farm life might seem like fun and freedom, but it's all work.  I've also raised just about every kind of livestock. Not for everybody!

Posted by .
Unregistered

­
I have a shitload of fruit trees, avacado trees, cherry trees and veggies.

The fucking squirrels and other animals eat every fucking thing there is.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.