Topic: Gonts, is it worth pursuing a career in IT Tech?
Posted by .
Unregistered

What are your experiences?

Posted by .
Unregistered

bump

Posted by .
Unregistered

Your best bet is to abandon IT. Best of luck.

Posted by .
Unregistered

do you have an uncontrollable urge to eat stinky food and shit on the floor? if so its for you!

Posted by .
Unregistered

Arche 3 had a great series of vids on this

Posted by .
Unregistered

There are two kinds of IT tech. One is the admin support type jobs which probably won't get offshored and also happens to be the lowest of the low in IT in terms of pay and advancement potential. A notch or two up is the run of the mill C# or Python developer with a "full stack" designation. You'll make an ok living, but the work is drudgery and you take orders from buffons such as project managers and business analysts. 

Then there is the whole other world of IT tech. These are hard-core programmers who work at hedge funds, Google, Facebook, etc. and pull down a million or more a year. These are people who invent new trading algorithms, build custom-made computer languages, and hand-roll their own database engines. Those jobs don't get advertised on dice.com nor does your shitty recruiter know about them. The people working at these places don't look at job ads because they have internal recruiters at the big money firms constantly trying to poach them.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Fuck no

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: There are two kinds of IT tech. One is the admin support type jobs which probably won't get offshored and also happens to be the lowest of the low in IT in terms of pay and advancement potential. A notch or two up is the run of the mill C# or Python developer with a "full stack" designation. You'll make an ok living, but the work is drudgery and you take orders from buffons such as project managers and business analysts. 

Then there is the whole other world of IT tech. These are hard-core programmers who work at hedge funds, Google, Facebook, etc. and pull down a million or more a year. These are people who invent new trading algorithms, build custom-made computer languages, and hand-roll their own database engines. Those jobs don't get advertised on dice.com nor does your shitty recruiter know about them. The people working at these places don't look at job ads because they have internal recruiters at the big money firms constantly trying to poach them.

­there are also middle roads between the run of the mill guy and the last category.

The last category is probably less than 1%. Even that levels salary site, there are a handful of million dollar salaries. Over about 300K, you are going into single digit percent territory.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­there are also middle roads between the run of the mill guy and the last category.

The last category is probably less than 1%. Even that levels salary site, there are a handful of million dollar salaries. Over about 300K, you are going into single digit percent territory.

­
What are some examples of middle roads?

Posted by .
Unregistered

in it
I get to walk around doing nothing

Posted by .
Unregistered

Yes, become a certified scrumb master :digtbk:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:

­
What are some examples of middle roads?

­

Marketing services, creating a small business to service local businesses
consulting
creating an SAAS(some web service you can charge something for)
Government developer job.

Are you going to be the next Elon Musk? likely not. But what career is good?

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Arche 3 had a great series of vids on this

­Wasn't he a tech support guy? That is the absolute bottom of the barrel. Even for Indians. I talked to an Indian programmer (in India) and he told me anything involving that gets outsourced to the poorest countries. He told me in India if you can write code in any way you can get a decent job tomorrow.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Lookup the author of grindreel videos on YouTube.  You can thank me later.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Lookup the author of grindreel videos on YouTube.  You can thank me later.

Jesus fucking Christ. Gary Vee is a cunt but this takes it to the next level.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:

Jesus fucking Christ. Gary Vee is a cunt but this takes it to the next level.

If you look up Josh by name on YouTube, you’ll find the $15 per hour dev job videos.

Posted by Pile
Unregistered

. said:

Sweet spot is being in architect/oversight side of the dev world. You are still expected to get your hands dirty from time to time. Some shops take an ivory tower approach but that is usually the exception to the norm. Mid 200K-300K and no direct report responsibility.  Any more than that and you are just feeding negro babies via tax rape anyway. This is not including stock and retirement benefits.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Yes, become a certified scrumb master :digtbk:

Those guys are the first to go though when times get lean.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Two words: Data Science and Analytics

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Two words: Data Science and Analytics

­
I've been intensively studying NLP for the past six months. My previous experience was in trading software.

Thoughts on near-term NLP growth?

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Your best bet is to abandon IT. Best of luck.

:potd:

Posted by L0riOfBartlett
Unregistered

There are many kinds of IT tech. One is the part-time admin support type jobs held by GED-earners, which probably won't get offshored and also happens to be the lowest of the low in IT in terms of pay and advancement potential. You will make $25k per year and live in a vinyl crapshack, married to an obese pill popper and collecting EBT to make ends meet

Posted by F2_THREAD_INSPECTOR
Unregistered

I saw “Gonts.” I don’t see tits :mad:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Lookup the author of grindreel videos on YouTube.  You can thank me later.

­He is a talentless bitter code camp graduate. He is the incel of the tech world.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: He is a talentless bitter code camp graduate. He is the incel of the tech world.

He has figured out tech employment.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.