Topic: Here is $100 worth of groceries in Toronto right now. I expect food riots soon.
Posted by .
Unregistered

You know what I remember about 2007/2008? It's not the housing crash ... it's that just BEFORE the housing crash there seemed to be reports of food price and oil price riots everywhere outside the US. Almost no one remembers this other than me so I might be hallucinating. I can't remember where I read it or saw it.

But I swear I recall this shit and it's what forced the Fed to crank up I-rates and that leads to ... well you know the rest.

And now I'm reading in 2020 the same shit starting all over again.

:confused:

Posted by T-34.nli
Unregistered

^ Yes I remember food prices jumping dramatically at that time and they have definitely done so again.

Food is still cheap in the big scheme of things.  I wouldn't mind paying more if any of that went to improving wages/conditions for workers and animals.  It doesn't.

Posted by .
Unregistered

The Arab Spring was driven mostly by food issues.

Posted by T-34.nli
Unregistered

. said: The Arab Spring was driven mostly by food issues.

Interesting I didn't know that but not surprising.  No greater motivator than food.

Posted by .
Unregistered

T-34.nli said: ^ Yes I remember food prices jumping dramatically at that time and they have definitely done so again.

Food is still cheap in the big scheme of things.  I wouldn't mind paying more if any of that went to improving wages/conditions for workers and animals.  It doesn't.

Aldi's pays their workers $20 an hour and still has lowest prices of all.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
Aldi's pays their workers $20 an hour and still has lowest prices of all.

­

They are paid by the Kings of Europe, not the whim of brutal American capitalism :nono:

Posted by .
Unregistered

T-34.nli said:
Interesting I didn't know that but not surprising.  No greater motivator than food.

­
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ZtxIuxyru8MJ:https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-change-and-rising-food-prices-heightened-arab-spring/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=ubuntu

Posted by T-34.nli
Unregistered

https://imgur.com/a/oJgM4gC

And here are all of the gifts that animal gave me with her shoulder:

- cup of pure lard.  will put 1/4 in the beans when I bake them and use the rest for baking/frying
- Two salty crunch pork rinds :snoopy:
- A pot of very good stock.  Will reduce by half and then use for ramen or whatever.
- Bowl of shredded pork - will bake in beans 
- Pork pieces - will use in Ramen or soup or sammich or whatever.

Will soak beans overnite and bake all day tomorrow.  Good things take time.  

:spanky:  
-

Posted by .
Unregistered

I like strubbs pickled koshers but I'm too scared to try the pickled eggs... will I be ok?

Posted by T-34.nli
Unregistered

. said: I like strubbs pickled koshers but I'm too scared to try the pickled eggs... will I be ok?

Perfectly fine.  I tried making my own once and almost died no troll.  Will never do that again.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: You know what I remember about 2007/2008? It's not the housing crash ... it's that just BEFORE the housing crash there seemed to be reports of food price and oil price riots everywhere outside the US. Almost no one remembers this other than me so I might be hallucinating. I can't remember where I read it or saw it.

But I swear I recall this shit and it's what forced the Fed to crank up I-rates and that leads to ... well you know the rest.

And now I'm reading in 2020 the same shit starting all over again.

:confused:

Good point. There was a huge spike in inflation and the oil price in Summer of 2008. It was a huge fakeout before the collapse in the fall. It threw off a lot of smart people.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Here are prices around Chicago.  Note the Crazy 88 items at Jewel and the 11 items for $10 at Meijer.  There are a lot of worthwhile deals right now.

https://coupons.jewelosco.com/weeklyad/?s=catalog/21_02_JWL_WC_J/1

https://www.meijer.com/weeklyad.html

Posted by .
Unregistered

I'm cutting way back on things that I buy.  Super inflation is going to destroy our country with the Big Guy (aka Joe Biden) in charge.

Posted by T-34.nli
Unregistered

^ Damb food is vastly cheaper in the US than in Canada.  Then you get to the liquor section and it is a whole different order of magnitude.  You don't get a bottle of whisky for $7 in Canada.  You get a can of beer.

Posted by .
Unregistered

T-34.nli said: ^ Damb food is vastly cheaper in the US than in Canada.  Then you get to the liquor section and it is a whole different order of magnitude.  You don't get a bottle of whisky for $7 in Canada.  You get a can of beer.

­
You can always shop at Meijer in Michigan.  Keep in mind that Canadian currency is still about 20% weaker than U.S. dollars.  That explains some of it.

Posted by .
Unregistered

T-34.nli said: https://imgur.com/a/ED6vg3h

:mad:   They aren't even premium they are weird dollar store brands :mad:

­
That would make some good eatin', son. Just add some roadkill and you're set! :thumbup:
\
:doublewide:

Posted by T-34.nli
Unregistered

. said:
­
You can always shop at Meijer in Michigan.  Keep in mind that Canadian currency is still about 20% weaker than U.S. dollars.  That explains some of it.

I would be afraid to go to Michigan that's like Syria right now :shudder:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: CAN'T SPELL AUTHENTICO WITHOUT UNICO!

­
:potd:

Posted by T-34.nli
Unregistered

I’m going to masturbate on the beans and eat them to enhance protein content.

:sadwave:

Posted by simple explanation
Unregistered

That’s $100 in CANADIAN money.

:moreyouknow:

Posted by T-34.nli
Unregistered

simple explanation said: That’s $100 in CANADIAN money.

:moreyouknow:

That would explain it if they were imports but all of that (beans, ketchup, pork) are Canadian products.

Posted by .
Unregistered

T-34.nli said:
They are the only Canadian ketchup producer now since Warren Buffet sold out Heinz.  (fucker).  This is the ketchup of patriots even though it isn't very good.

:teapots:

­
French's is OK. President's Choice is made in Canada. Even Aylmer, which is the worst ketchup you can buy, is made in Canada, although they're owned by ConAgra.

Posted by T-34.nli
Unregistered

. said:
­
French's is OK. President's Choice is made in Canada. Even Aylmer, which is the worst ketchup you can buy, is made in Canada, although they're owned by ConAgra.

You know your ketchup, my friend.  Full well.  :007:

Posted by T-34.nli
Unregistered

T-34.nli said: I’m going to masturbate on the beans and eat them to enhance protein content.

:sadwave:

­
:hmmm: I’m considering it.

Posted by .
Unregistered

The Soviet style living quarters in Canada are really nice.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.