Topic: I was born in 1979. In the year 2000, whenever I saw something set in 1960, it seemed like long ago.
Posted by .
Unregistered

Now in 2020, when I see something set in 1980, it seems like just a few years ago and recent history. Then I have a rational moment and realize it's the same 40 year span as 2000 is from 1960.

Posted by .
Unregistered

I was born in the late 50s. To me, things from the 1930s seemed old. The early 1960s had a feeling of newness and hope until JFK was assassinated. They were still good until about 1968.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Seems to happen to everyone.

I remember thinking 80s movies like The Breakfast Club and Weird Science were ancient when I was in high school in the 90s. Now anything made after about '95 or so seems pretty recent. I have to remind myself that Titanic and The Matrix and Jurassic Park are so old most kids today haven't even seen them.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Seems to happen to everyone.

I remember thinking 80s movies like The Breakfast Club and Weird Science were ancient when I was in high school in the 90s. Now anything made after about '95 or so seems pretty recent. I have to remind myself that Titanic and The Matrix and Jurassic Park are so old most kids today haven't even seen them.

­
Yeah. To the kids born in 2000, watching The Matrix would be like watching a "classic" the same way Alien is to me.

Posted by .
Unregistered

The world began when I was born, and so it shall end when I die.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Seems to happen to everyone.

There was a dramatic change both in movie production values and general fashion during the early-mid 90s. Someone from the late 90s could fit in today without getting too many looks. Not so much if you look like you just stepped out of the 1980s. Special effects also got a lot better during this era, so the movies you mentioned have held up a lot better and can still pass for newish.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: The world began when I was born, and so it shall end when I die.

very insightful.

Posted by .
Unregistered

If you start adjusting your timeline even more by zooming in and out a bit you will realize that almost everything we take for granted has practically just been invented and we are living thru some sort of technological warp. We are very lucky to be experiencing it. I remember when my dad brought home Pong for our black and white tv and Im not even 50 yet.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: If you start adjusting your timeline even more by zooming in and out a bit you will realize that almost everything we take for granted has practically just been invented and we are living thru some sort of technological warp. We are very lucky to be experiencing it. I remember when my dad brought home Pong for our black and white tv and Im not even 50 yet.

­
Yes. The consumer-level communication technology alone is incredible.

Posted by .
Unregistered

In the early 90s high school seemed like a lot of idolizing the 60s. The "60s"was probably more like half a decade and so recent after crazy bullshit, followed by more crazy bullshit. Maybe it was a little island of hippie fashion and styles, lasting less time than reagan residency overall.

But in the 90sit was somekind of everlasting fantasy world kids wished they lived in.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Listening to cannibal corpse today is like listening to rolling stones in 1991 :shrug:

Posted by .
Unregistered

If you watch The Honeymooners, it looks like they lived a hundred years ago but the Dick Van Dyke show started only a few years later and it looks modern. The Kramdens lived in a tenement and wore old fashioned clothes while the Petries lived in a modern ranch house in the suburbs and were stylishly dressed. There was a huge increase in the standard of living from 1955 to 1960.

Posted by .
Unregistered

what dates films to me is where the plot is centered on the characters not being able to make phone calls or text.

completely dates and ruins movies.

Posted by .
Unregistered

I was also born in the late 70s.

1990 is the same distance away as 2050 :lol:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: In the early 90s high school seemed like a lot of idolizing the 60s. The "60s"was probably more like half a decade and so recent after crazy bullshit, followed by more crazy bullshit.  Maybe it was a little island of hippie fashion and styles, lasting less time than reagan residency overall.

But in the 90sit was somekind of everlasting fantasy world kids wished they lived in.

­
It seems like every decade glamorizes some other decade. Happy Days promoted the 50s in the 70s. The 50s and early 60s were popular in the 80s, and then in the early 90s, the late 60s and 70s were big. The swing / rockabilly craze of the late 90s brought back the 40s and 50s again. The early 2000s were about the 80s, and now we're roughly the early / mid 90s.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said: In the early 90s high school seemed like a lot of idolizing the 60s. The "60s"was probably more like half a decade and so recent after crazy bullshit, followed by more crazy bullshit.  Maybe it was a little island of hippie fashion and styles, lasting less time than reagan residency overall.

­
It seems like every decade glamorizes some other decade. Happy Days promoted the 50s in the 70s. The 50s and early 60s were popular in the 80s, and then in the early 90s, the late 60s and 70s were big. The swing / rockabilly craze of the late 90s brought back the 40s and 50s again. The early 2000s were about the 80s, and now we're roughly the early / mid 90s.

­
I thought its whenever you had the most fun as a young person before you got wrecked to shreds by the world as it really is, and everybody still young and alive and heathe.
You inevitably long for that time.

But high school kids in the 90s didnt personally enjoy the 60s, I wonder if 16 year olds just liked the idea of the 60s or if the feeling was brought by 40-50 year old former hippies influencing their kids.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Hell Napoleon was running shit in 1800, born a few decades after Bach died. This was not that long ago!

When you compare that to 30 years war in 1618, they probably felt nostalic for Spanish conquistadores in Napoleons day.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Napoleon and Beethoven probably shopped for TP at the sambe Walmart at some point.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
I thought its whenever you had the most fun as a young person before you got wrecked to shreds by the world as it really is, and everybody still young and alive and heathe.
You inevitably long for that time.

But high school kids in the 90s didnt personally enjoy the 60s, I wonder if 16 year olds just liked the idea of the 60s or if the feeling was brought by 40-50 year old former hippies influencing their kids.

­FREEDOM ROCK and young boomer execs were starting to influence their Greatest Generation/Silent Gen bosses who all had a bottle of scotch or a full bar in their offices.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.