Topic: Why did column shifters in automatic transmission cars fall out of favor?
Posted by .
Unregistered

They are easy to reach yet out of the way. They also clear up a lot of storage space in the center console. 98% of drivers only use park, reverse and neutral anyways.

Why did they disappear?

Posted by .
Unregistered

I'm in favor of replacing them with a dial.  No need for a shifter at all.

Posted by .
Unregistered

I think sporty cars were the first to have them in the style of manual transmissions on the floor. I liked the old column PRNDL shifters and drivers would usually slide over and get in and out of the passenger seat instead of opening the door on the traffic side when parking. It’s obviously much safer to get in and out of the car by the curb than on the driver’s side. Maybe the newer automatic transmissions with 4, 5, or 6 speeds can’t be put on the steering column.

Posted by U_PUNKS_R2_YOUNG_ETC
Unregistered

Lever shift or GTFO
\
:gramps:

Posted by .
Unregistered

Bring them back! They were awesome.

Posted by .
Unregistered

I’m guessing putting the shifter in the center console is cheaper:shrug:

Posted by .
Unregistered

6-speed manual transmission for drivers.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: I'm in favor of replacing them with a dial.  No need for a shifter at all.

­
I rented a Ford truck that had the shifters on a knob.

But when it comes down to it, it's almost always cost that drives things.

You tards are too young to remember "shift on the column", where you had manual transmission cars shifting on the steering column

Posted by .
Unregistered

HE STOPPED SHORT
THATS MY MOVE!
\
:gramps:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: They are easy to reach yet out of the way. They also clear up a lot of storage space in the center console. 98% of drivers only use park, reverse and neutral anyways.

Why did they disappear?

­
Floor shifters give the impression that the cunt driving has the intelligence to drive stick.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: I’m guessing putting the shifter in the center console is cheaper:shrug:

­:motorcycle:

For cars that come with both an automatic or a manual transmission, it is cheaper to have floor mounted shifters e.g. Honda Civic.  For cars that are designed to only come with an auto e.g. a Crown Vic, then there is no real difference in price.

Column shifters are superior for the reasons OP states.
\
:discussionclosed:

p.s. Japanese cars that are NOT exported have column shifters, because most cars for the Japanese market are autos.

Posted by Bill
Unregistered

. said: I think sporty cars were the first to have them in the style of manual transmissions on the floor. I liked the old column PRNDL shifters and drivers would usually slide over and get in and out of the passenger seat instead of opening the door on the traffic side when parking. It’s obviously much safer to get in and out of the car by the curb than on the driver’s side. Maybe the newer automatic transmissions with 4, 5, or 6 speeds can’t be put on the steering column.

­
Column shifts make it easier for the front seat passenger to give the driver head.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
Floor shifters give the impression that the cunt driving has the intelligence to drive stick.

­
I had a 1980 Honda Civic that had a semi-automatic transmission. It had no clutch but you would have to manually shift it from low gear to drive every time you drove after coming to a stop. That was odd.

Posted by .
Unregistered

To prevent people from putting kids in the middle of the front bench seat.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:
­

­
I had a 1980 Honda Civic that had a semi-automatic transmission. It had no clutch but you would have to manually shift it from low gear to drive every time you drove after coming to a stop. That was odd.

­Yes, that was invented by clutch manufacturers who were scared of losing market share to drivers preferring automatics.  The solution was cheaper than an auto with a torque converter, but it was unreliable and shit for obvious reasons.

None of these sorts of "automatics" is any good.  The Ford Powershift class action lawsuits will attest to that.

Whenever accountants are allowed to have any say in engineering decisions, the result is ALWAYS shit.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Manual transmissi are a driver
Automatic transmissi are a passenger

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­Yes, that was invented by clutch manufacturers who were scared of losing market share to drivers preferring automatics.  The solution was cheaper than an auto with a torque converter, but it was unreliable and shit for obvious reasons.

None of these sorts of "automatics" is any good.  The Ford Powershift class action lawsuits will attest to that.

Whenever accountants are allowed to have any say in engineering decisions, the result is ALWAYS shit.

­
Honda transmissions have always been shit.

Posted by .
Unregistered

racers use sequential transmissions.

Posted by Cunning Linguist
Unregistered

Bill said:
­
Column shifts make it easier for the front seat passenger to give the driver head.

­
This is why tilt steering was invented. It gives moar head room.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.