Topic: Fucked by ebay
Posted by Bookworm
Unregistered

Original_Lonley_Guy_ said:
­
The scarcity leads to crazy prices most of the time for books.

I collect books about a specific painter. There's one book that is commonly available there for $60 and no one ever buys it at that price. Once every year or so, someone will list it for $10.

Another book has similar pricing and suddenly a guy listed twenty of them there for $5 a piece.

I think the book dealers are just not able to figure out the real price for a thousands of books they have so they randomly guess.

­

Yes, that is the dirty secret, for most stuff they don't  know the price.  Nowadays sellers can find comparables online.  For the famous ones there are auction records.  For most obscure stuff they just wing it and guess a price and then lower it until it sells. That is what B/M sellers have done for ages.  You have a French book on farming techniques from 1830.  What is it worth?  Who the hell knows?

Posted by pipster
Registered

Bookworm said:
Yes, that is the dirty secret, for most stuff they don't  know the price.  Nowadays sellers can find comparables online.  For the famous ones there are auction records.  For most obscure stuff they just wing it and guess a price and then lower it until it sells. That is what B/M sellers have done for ages.  You have a French book on farming techniques from 1830.  What is it worth?  Who the hell knows?

Guess what: all print media is worthless once it has been digitized. Obsolete.

Posted by Bookworm
Unregistered

pipster said:
Bookworm said:

Guess what: all print media is worthless once it has been digitized. Obsolete.

­
OK, if you have any first edition Hemingways laying around let me know and I will give you $5 for each one.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Collecting physical items is a form of hoarding which is unhealthy.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Turns out I got my package after all. Sorry guys.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.