Topic: Can you fix a burst water pipe with tape?
Posted by .
Unregistered

The key rule here is: "Is the pipe under ANY kind of pressure and is it a Drain Pipe ?"  If you answered
YES to BOTH questions above, it's a 50/50 proposition it will work.

­
ERROR! ERROR!  That should read NO to the first question and YES to the Second.   (sorry..had Chinese take-out Gooks probably added MSG when I told them not to futzing up my brain)

Posted by UpstairsIncel
Unregistered

. said: You can TEMPORARILY patch a SMALL HOLE in a U-Bend DRAIN PIPE under a sink with silver duct tape.
You CAN NOT patch ANY hole or leak in a Water Supply pipe that is under ANY kind of pressure. Period.

The key rule here is: "Is the pipe under ANY kind of pressure and is it a Drain Pipe ?"  If you answered
YES to BOTH questions above, it's a 50/50 proposition it will work. You still need to fix the problem with
new pipe or call a plumber however.   Also ANY water leak under the Kitchen Sink Garbage Disposal IS NOT
good. It will only get worse. It means the main seal between the internal sump and motor shaft of the
disposal has blown. Time to get a new disposal. These can not be repaired the seal is usually inaccessible
after mfgr.  

The Bottom Line:  Pipes carrying water in a house should NEVER leak or drip. Ever. Period. If they do either
fix it with new replacement parts yourself or call a plumber.  Fixing leaks with duct tape is good only to hold
as long as your waiting for the plumber to arrive.

­

This was the intention of my original question.  Can I use tape to stop flooding until help arrives?

Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered

. said: You only rent?  Loser.

What is the downside?  If I have a leaky pipe I call the landlord to fix it and go about my day.

Posted by .pablo
Unregistered

:nuke: :dumbass: :winner:

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.