Topic: Can you fix a burst water pipe with tape?
Posted by UpstairsIncel
Unregistered

it just happened this morning and we got the water shut off within minutes.  The landlord just finished fixing it an hour ago.

My first thought was to wrap duct tape around the hole but instead I talked to the people downstairs and they found the shut off valve in the basement

So, I am just asking in case this happens again in the middle of the night.

TIA

Posted by .
Unregistered

Yes it will work but only if the leak is active.

Posted by ..
Unregistered

There are some new products - tapes with very powerful adhesives.­ I doubt you duct tape will do you any good

Posted by .
Unregistered

I think it’s doubtful any tape can stop a leak in a pipe, especially as water will be gushing out of it as you try to wrap the tape around it. Water will be under a lot of pressure.

Posted by .
Unregistered

:facepalm:

Posted by .
Unregistered

i can't believe it but this shit actually works.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: i can't believe it but this shit actually works.

Temporarily at best. I can't believe you are such a moron.

Posted by UpstairsIncel
Unregistered

just realized one mistake I made.  I should have left my kitchen sink running at full blast to lessen the flow out of the crack in the pipe.  The pipe runs through a wall into the staircase used by the guy who lives behind me.   So his stairs got soaked.

Posted by .
Unregistered

You only rent?  Loser.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:

calm down bitch

Posted by UpstairsIncel
Unregistered

. said: You only rent?  Loser.

­
My rent is less than what local homeowners pay per month for interest, insurance, water, tax, maintenance, etc.

Posted by .
Unregistered

UpstairsIncel said: just realized one mistake I made.  I should have left my kitchen sink running at full blast to lessen the flow out of the crack in the pipe.  The pipe runs through a wall into the staircase used by the guy who lives behind me.   So his stairs got soaked.

­
Some years ago the kitchen pipe broke under my sink. There was a shut off valve there but when I turned it the valve broke (probably from not having used it in 40 years) so I had two leaks instead of one. I turned off the master valve in the basement and that worked.

Posted by UpstairsIncel
Unregistered

. said:
UpstairsIncel said: just realized one mistake I made.  I should have left my kitchen sink running at full blast to lessen the flow out of the crack in the pipe.  The pipe runs through a wall into the staircase used by the guy who lives behind me.   So his stairs got soaked.

­
Some years ago the kitchen pipe broke under my sink. There was a shut off valve there but when I turned it the valve broke (probably from not having used it in 40 years) so I had two leaks instead of one. I turned off the master valve in the basement and that worked.

­
I was lucky that the people below me were home.  This could have been a serious disaster otherwise.  They had access to the valve in the basement.

BTW, this happened because the meth head behind me kept his outside door open to allow friends to enter.  On my part, I should have opened the cabinet doors under the sink and kept water dripping.  Oh well, lessons learned....

Posted by .
Unregistered

.. said: There are some new products - tapes with very powerful adhesives.­ I doubt you duct tape will do you any good

/
:winner:

NONE of the examples are under pressure. They are at 1 bar. The piss in your bladder is under twice the pressure. Mains water is under 3.5 - 10 bar. The moronic chinese dog glue tape is useless on a pressurised pipe. Fact.
/
:oldlady:

Posted by .
Unregistered

UpstairsIncel said: it just happened this morning and we got the water shut off within minutes.  The landlord just finished fixing it an hour ago.

My first thought was to wrap duct tape around the hole but instead I talked to the people downstairs and they found the shut off valve in the basement

So, I am just asking in case this happens again in the middle of the night.

TIA

Buy a 15mm and a 22mm of these and keep them in an accessible place.  You're welcome.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:

calm down bitch
:insane:

Solder, what is it
\

:rofl:

Posted by .
Unregistered

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:

:lol:
Main shutoff valve, what dat?
\

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
:lol:
Main shutoff valve, what dat?
\

QUE?
\
:mexican:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:

­
That’s what happened under my kitchen sink although it looks like this water pipe was under more pressure than the one in my kitchen. It happened at 8pm and after turning off the main shutoff I obviously had no water. I called a few 24 hour plumbers but the only one that answered and could come at night was Roto Rooter. He came within the hour but it took the whole night for him to fix because there were two breaks, the pipe and the sink valve which had to be repaired from the basement. Access to it was difficult but I got my water back by around 6am.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:

­
That’s what happened under my kitchen sink although it looks like this water pipe was under more pressure than the one in my kitchen. It happened at 8pm and after turning off the main shutoff I obviously had no water. I called a few 24 hour plumbers but the only one that answered and could come at night was Roto Rooter. He came within the hour but it took the whole night for him to fix because there were two breaks, the pipe and the sink valve which had to be repaired from the basement. Access to it was difficult but I got my water back by around 6am.

Shut up CUNT! Nobody here likes you.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
Shut up CUNT! Nobody here likes you.

He is a irritating dumb fuck. :lol:

Posted by .
Unregistered

ca I fix water leak with tape
\

:rofl:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­

NO, that's NOT what happened under your kitchen sink,  you boring dork..You didn't have your house flooded by a dumbass "plumber" like in the video, did you?.  :rant: :rant:

Posted by .
Unregistered

You can TEMPORARILY patch a SMALL HOLE in a U-Bend DRAIN PIPE under a sink with silver duct tape.
You CAN NOT patch ANY hole or leak in a Water Supply pipe that is under ANY kind of pressure. Period.

The key rule here is: "Is the pipe under ANY kind of pressure and is it a Drain Pipe ?"  If you answered
YES to BOTH questions above, it's a 50/50 proposition it will work. You still need to fix the problem with
new pipe or call a plumber however.   Also ANY water leak under the Kitchen Sink Garbage Disposal IS NOT
good. It will only get worse. It means the main seal between the internal sump and motor shaft of the
disposal has blown. Time to get a new disposal. These can not be repaired the seal is usually inaccessible
after mfgr.  

The Bottom Line:  Pipes carrying water in a house should NEVER leak or drip. Ever. Period. If they do either
fix it with new replacement parts yourself or call a plumber.  Fixing leaks with duct tape is good only to hold
as long as your waiting for the plumber to arrive.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.