Topic: So we had our Christmas event at work
Posted by .
Unregistered


Late at night there's 7-8 of us left, getting drunk, making too many bad jokes and telling eye popping anecdotes about what colleagues have said/done...

Two days later I get a call from our Chief HR Officer about a joke I had made.

What the fuck? I thought. My comment was in bad taste but there were others made which were far, far more extreme and worrying. So somebody had decided to rat on me to pull the rug out from me.

Lesson learned, but how to now react?


Posted by .
Unregistered


Lay off pay


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said: Lay off pay

what do you mean?


Posted by .
Unregistered


1) HR is there for the companies interest so do not believe it when the CHRO is buddy buddy with you
2) You must keep HR as your friend (fake it)
3) Only talk about weather, golf, etc. at work and never get drink with colleagues

Whoever screwed you is an asshole. He clearly targeted you. Make sure you find out who it was and take revenge.


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said: Late at night there's 7-8 of us left, getting drunk, making too many bad jokes and telling eye popping anecdotes about what colleagues have said/done...

Two days later I get a call from our Chief HR Officer about a joke I had made.

What the fuck? I thought. My comment was in bad taste but there were others made which were far, far more extreme and worrying. So somebody had decided to rat on me to pull the rug out from me.

Lesson learned, but how to now react?

Snitch on everyone else


Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered


Jesus fuck what was your joke?

PS I don't believe any of this I am the only poaster here who actually has a job.


Posted by .
Unregistered


Ask why the company sponsored a booze fueled festivity and go into detail about the other stuff people said. Tell them it is their move.


Posted by .
Unregistered


Nobody likes a snitch. Make clear to CHRO that you KNOW about a lot of other BS and COULD drop the bomb but won't because you're not that kind of guy.

CHRO is there for the company but is also lazy. He doesn't want to deal with this shit.


Posted by .
Unregistered


teapots.nli said: Jesus fuck what was your joke?

PS I don't believe any of this I am the only poaster here who actually has a job.

Nothing dramatic, just a comment about one colleague at the table banging a female colleague (which, in fact, was true) who was not at the event.

Some white knight at the table must have picked up on it. Nasty bastard. My comment was tame compared to others made that evening. 

Really pissed off. Can't even be guys and relax with each other with a few beers too many... annoying.


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said: Ask why the company sponsored a booze fueled festivity and go into detail about the other stuff people said.  Tell them it is their move.

I would not make threats. 

I'd position yourself as the most reasonable person. I.e. you are not a snitch (but imply that you could be) and get him to believe this is all blown out of proportion.


Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered


. said:
Nothing dramatic, just a comment about one colleague at the table banging a female colleague (which, in fact, was true) who was not at the event.

Some white knight at the table must have picked up on it. Nasty bastard. My comment was tame compared to others made that evening. 

Really pissed off. Can't even be guys and relax with each other with a few beers too many... annoying.

No you fucked up by talking about fucking a co-worker.  HR is just doing their job by being concerned, although you are correct that someone at the table was a snivelling little rat.

That is why you drink alone or with friends or strangers.  Not co-workers.


Posted by .
Unregistered


teapots.nli said:
No you fucked up by talking about fucking a co-worker.  HR is just doing their job by being concerned, although you are correct that someone at the table was a snivelling little rat.

That is why you drink alone or with friends or strangers.  Not co-workers.

OP here. You are correct. And I took it on the chin in the meeting with HR and said that yes I was a dumbass but laid out the context of a lot of drinks and a lot of comments (much more extreme) before i made mine.

What now though? Fingers crossed, let it rest and hope it goes away? Or...?


Posted by .
Unregistered


teapots.nli said:
No you fucked up by talking about fucking a co-worker.  HR is just doing their job by being concerned, although you are correct that someone at the table was a snivelling little rat.

That is why you drink alone or with friends or strangers.  Not co-workers.

My advice is to act like you don't care who was the snitch but in secret make sure you god damn find out who it was because he WILL do it again. Odds are he didn't randomly fuck you over but was/is out to get you (your job perhaps?).


Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered


. said:
OP here. You are correct. And I took it on the chin in the meeting with HR and said that yes I was a dumbass but laid out the context of a lot of drinks and a lot of comments (much more extreme) before i made mine.

What now though? Fingers crossed, let it rest and hope it goes away? Or...?

You will be ok if you are otherwise a good employee.  You did the right thing by owning it and being remorsefull.  Don't do it again and you will come out the stronger.

I am old and did things like this many times and it always worked out okay because I am a hard worker and a good person although a bit too witty whilst drunk.  :lol:


Posted by .
Unregistered


teapots.nli said:
You will be ok if you are otherwise a good employee.  You did the right thing by owning it and being remorsefull.  Don't do it again and you will come out the stronger.

I am old and did things like this many times and it always worked out okay because I am a hard worker and a good person although a bit too witty whilst drunk.  :lol:

Good feedback but I do suggest the OP makes notes on who said what exactly and keeps that as an insurance policy should he ever need it. Also, he needs to find out who the rat was because that person deserves to be fucked over. Just remember, revenge is a dish best served ice cold.


Posted by .
Unregistered


teapots.nli said:
  You did the right thing by owning it and being remorsefull.  

Gre. You saved HR from having to do (if you had denied it) a big fucking investigation. As somebody else said, they don't have the time or energy for that.


Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered


. said:
Good feedback but I do suggest the OP makes notes on who said what exactly and keeps that as an insurance policy should he ever need it. Also, he needs to find out who the rat was because that person deserves to be fucked over. Just remember, revenge is a dish best served ice cold.

Revenge feels good but what is much better on a whole other level is Peace.


Posted by .
Unregistered


teapots.nli said:
Revenge feels good but what is much better on a whole other level is Peace.

OP here. I agree. Obviously I'm pissed off a bit but the fact that i don't hold grudges is one reason that HR in the call said "we know you're basically a good guy" when I explained the context (03:00, far too many drinks, rowdy guys, etc.).


Posted by .
Unregistered


teapots.nli said:
Revenge feels good but what is much better on a whole other level is Peace.

Does that really work in a world full of assholes?


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said:
Does that really work in a world full of assholes?


No, only in fairy tales.


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said:

No, only in fairy tales.


Gre!


Posted by .
Unregistered


I hate these sensitive snowflakes. At a Christmas get together  last year loads of us were drunk on a bus back to the hotel and a female colleague kept grabbing my butt. Did I run off to HR to complain? No, i'm not a fucking cunt. I gave the hen a few strict looks and we laughed it off. I'm not hurt, she's not hurt, all is good.


Posted by .
Unregistered


Consider work to be a war zone where you don't know who your enemies are


Posted by .
Unregistered


It used to be companies would sponsor a Holiday Party for employees to bond and for the bosses to see how folks are outside of work. With a little alcohol in a controlled environment, would your up and comer jr exec, the one you wanted to promote; would he/she or nowadays possibly it, be an embarrassment to the company with customers when they were out of your sight, on the road? 

A little social pressure is a good way to observe temperament, manners and how one adjusts to folks acting outside of their office norms. Is the attractive marketing girl likely to use her looks to fuck her way up the command chain? Does the married 15 year professional degree accountant have the propensity to screw around with your secretary, and thus may not be reliable in his opinions of financial statements? 

There's a big merger on the horizon, which of the numskulls in this room are you going to trust with the deal going through? It used to be HR was there to blow off steam as well, and to show they are just like everybody else. Nowadays it is true, they are there as undercover agents, looking for anything they can use against you and to make themselves look good.

Sometimes it simply comes down to those who do know how to properly season a cast iron skillet will be successful, and those who don't, won't.


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said:
teapots.nli said: Jesus fuck what was your joke?

PS I don't believe any of this I am the only poaster here who actually has a job.

Nothing dramatic, just a comment about one colleague at the table banging a female colleague (which, in fact, was true) who was not at the event.

Some white knight at the table must have picked up on it. Nasty bastard. My comment was tame compared to others made that evening. 

Really pissed off. Can't even be guys and relax with each other with a few beers too many... annoying.

That is so fucking PATHETIC.  Jesus H CHRIST.  There was a female Purchasing Director where I worked in the 90's and she was good looking with tip-top tits.  She came by one day for something or other (I was in an open plan office) and when she'd gone I turned round to my buddy whose cube was behind mine (and bear in mind there were at least a dozen other people in the open plan office, including 3 or 4 females) and I said "she's got GREAT tits!".  My buddy John perked up and said, "OOOOOOH!  That Debbie used to be a raving sort!  She used to do lines of cocaines of two or three guy's dicks in a row!"

I swear to God, that really happened.  EVERONE pissed themselves laughing, including the women.  That was a typidal day in the office.

This one other time, my buddy John and I were squabbling about something and nothing.  He had polio as a kid, 23 operations on his back, and walked with two sticks. Upper body was Alpha AF, but rubbish legs, and fucked up back.  I looked at him, looked at my watch, and casually but loudly said, "I bet your wife is at home getting fucked by a black sprinter right now, amirite?"

Well, the entire office erupted in :lmao:

Nobody called HR.  John was almost in tears with laughter.  We were productive as fuck after ripping shit out of each other.  Good timbs, good timbs...
\
:gramps:



Quick Reply
Moniker:
 

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.

Log In | Register | Close