Topic: I shaved with a safety razor for the first time in my life last night
Posted by Original_Lonley_Guy_

I did some googling and figured out that the pinnacle of safety razor design was the mid 60s Gillette Slim Adjustable which has 9 settings. (I safely ignored all the expensive modern hipster options). So I bought a used one for about $15, plus some Barbicide, and a 7 pack sampler safety razor blades (blades are about 20 cents each). From all the reading I did I thought it would be a scary experience with lots of nicks and cuts and problems figuring out which way my beard grows. I didn't even use lather and a brush, just my usual canned cream.

In fact my very first shave was close, relatively quick and with only a couple tiny knicks that should have been easily avoided! I think I am sold. I think most of the issue is knowing your own beard and since I have been shaving with a cartridge for years I already knew exactly how to shave with the grain and across the grain, etc.

If you want to follow in my footsteps, buy a Gillette Slim Adjustible from 1962-1965.

Buy this sampler as everyone will prefer a different blade manufacturer since they have different sharpnesses and coatings:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UN0LUWE

And some Barbicide to kill the gribs on the used razor:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FHGZHS

And here's a video of some old scottish fuck showing how to use a safety razor. You can skip ahead to where he actually starts shaving:

Posted by .
Unregistered

Mods ban OP he is fag.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Aren't you like 60 years old?  Why the fuck do you need some Scottish fucktwat to teach you how to shave? Also, three fucking passes, you stupid twat kilt?
No thanks, will keep the beard.

PS- I have a Murkur safety razor that I use for grooming around beard along with other Gillette Fusion grap

Posted by .
Unregistered

Original_Lonley_Guy_ said: I did some googling and figured out that the pinnacle of safety razor design was the mid 60s Gillette Slim Adjustable which has 9 settings. (I safely ignored all the expensive modern hipster options). So I bought a used one for about $15, plus some Barbicide, and a 7 pack sampler safety razor blades (blades are about 20 cents each). From all the reading I did I thought it would be a scary experience with lots of nicks and cuts and problems figuring out which way my beard grows. I didn't even use lather and a brush, just my usual canned cream.

In fact my very first shave was close, relatively quick and with only a couple tiny knicks that should have been easily avoided! I think I am sold. I think most of the issue is knowing your own beard and since I have been shaving with a cartridge for years I already knew exactly how to shave with the grain and across the grain, etc.

If you want to follow in my footsteps, buy a Gillette Slim Adjustible from 1962-1965.

Buy this sampler as everyone will prefer a different blade manufacturer since they have different sharpnesses and coatings:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UN0LUWE

And some Barbicide to kill the gribs on the used razor:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FHGZHS

­

Any nicks on yuor nutsack?

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­

Any nicks on yuor nutsack?

­
Can you even reach your ball bag, you fat cunt?

Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered

Weird I used a new kind of razor just this morning and I'm hooked -- gillette fusion 5.  It's just a normal multiblade razor but has a little battery powered thing inside that makes it vibrate.  Works really good.

I like retro things but not when they involve putting a blade to my throat.  I have unpleasant memories of safety razors, especially when they are ice cold.

teapots.nli said: Weird I used a new kind of razor just this morning and I'm hooked -- gillette fusion 5.  It's just a normal multiblade razor but has a little battery powered thing inside that makes it vibrate.  Works really good.

I like retro things but not when they involve putting a blade to my throat.  I have unpleasant memories of safety razors, especially when they are ice cold.

­
The problem with the Fusion is that each cartridge costs $5.

From my experience last night the main benefits the fusion offers: You can shave your whole face in 3 minutes instead of 10. And you can be a moran and still avoid nicks and cuts.

For 20 cents per blade, if you fine tune the process and find the right blades, the safety razor can probably give you a closer shave.

Posted by .
Unregistered

I had a brand new vintage Gilette razor, 1st safety one they ever made made with a huge supply of blades that I found in a box of old garbage rooting for 33 rpm records.

For many years, every time I touched it, picked it up, moved it, looked at it or otherwise handled it I immediaetly cut my fingers or hands.

A plain old unsafe straight razor is actually much safer. Why would anyone want such a thing in their life? :lol:

. said: I had a brand new vintage Gilette razor, 1st safety one they ever made made with a huge supply of blades that I found in a box of old garbage rooting for 33 rpm records.

For many years, every time I touched it, picked it up, moved it, looked at it or otherwise handled it I immediaetly cut my fingers or hands.

A plain old unsafe straight razor is actually much safer. Why would anyone want such a thing in their life? :lol:

­
Honestly, unless you are a total idiot, this should not be happening.

Interestingly, old houses used to have a slot in the bathroom for depositing used razor blades. This issue was that it really wasn't safe to put them in garbage and risk hurting children or garbage men. The slot just went into a wall cavity. So now when people do bathroom remodels, this is what they see: :lol:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bathroom+remodel+razor+blades&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Posted by .
Unregistered

^
That’s pretty cool and a fact I didn’t know. All of those blades would be great for a nasty weapon or explosive. Corroded, rusty, sharp.

Posted by .
Unregistered

I buy plastic two-blade bags of Bic razors. Because fuck Gillette.

Before I knew better I used disposable razors for months at a time.

Posted by .
Unregistered

My 20$ electric shaver goes 10 times as fast as my old merkur shaver.
Is it as close of a shave? No. 
It's a good tradeoff.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: I buy plastic two-blade bags of Bic razors. Because fuck Gillette.

Before I knew better I used disposable razors for months at a time.

­
Gillette is a fucking scam. 
Fuck them. 

I'm surprised they are not Jewish.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
Gillette is a fucking scam. 
Fuck them. 

I'm surprised they are not Jewish.

­
The blades are a complete ripoff and don’t last. It’s the printer cartridge business model. Plus their SJW posturing ended any business I’ll ever do with them.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.