Topic: Halp
Posted by madelf.
Unregistered


I need to unwind. It's snowing--how's it going?


Posted by .
Unregistered


It's really cold here. I think it might hit 60 today. :shudder:


Posted by .
Unregistered


35 F and foggy in Flyoverville.


Posted by madelf.
Unregistered


. said: It's really cold here. I think it might hit 60 today. :shudder:

­Yikes! I don't mind the cold or snow except it tends to shut down business and cause delays... anyway, I am unwinding by cooking dinner. I had forgotten how much this pacifies me.


Posted by .
Unregistered


What's for din-din?


Posted by madelf.
Unregistered


. said: What's for din-din?

­
Braised beef shank stew. A good snowy night meal. I hope. You?


Posted by Mascara
Reverb Queen


madelf. said:
. said: What's for din-din?

­
Braised beef shank stew. A good snowy night meal. I hope. You?

­
Making fried rice and egg foo yung - from scratch of course.

If it's cold outside get a 6 pack of Samuel Adams  Cold Snap.


Posted by .
Unregistered


A steak sandwich. Round steak on garlic toast with Worcestershire sauce.


Posted by madelf.
Unregistered


Mascara said:
­
Making fried rice and egg foo yung - from scratch of course.

If it's cold outside get a 6 pack of Samuel Adams  Cold Snap.

­I'll play along. I have no clue what egg foo yung is. Recipe?

I have Hop Devil to keep me warm. :biggrin:


Posted by .
Unregistered


A shot of Old Crow will warm you up.


Posted by madelf.
Unregistered


. said: A steak sandwich. Round steak on garlic toast with Worcestershire sauce.

­How do you prepare the steak?


Posted by madelf.
Unregistered


. said: A shot of Old Crow will warm you up.

­The only liquor on standby is Scotch whisky and brandy and I do not intend to imbibe on either. :yak:


Posted by Mascara
Reverb Queen


madelf. said:
­I'll play along. I have no clue what egg foo yung is. Recipe?

I have Hop Devil to keep me warm. :biggrin:

­
Sure.  It's standard Chinese food.  I grew up eating it, sometimes for breakfast.

http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/Egg-Foo-Yung


Posted by madelf.
Unregistered


Mascara said:
­
Sure.  It's standard Chinese food.  I grew up eating it, sometimes for breakfast.

http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/Egg-Foo-Yung

­Actually, I don't really like Chinese food. Thank you for playing.


Posted by Mascara
Reverb Queen


madelf. said:
Mascara said:
­
Sure.  It's standard Chinese food.  I grew up eating it, sometimes for breakfast.

http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/Egg-Foo-Yung

­Actually, I don't really like Chinese food. Thank you for playing.

­
The homemade kind is much better than the crap they serve in restaurants.


Posted by .
Unregistered


For a steak sandwich you can fry, broil, or boil the meat and serve it whole or sliced.


Posted by madelf.
Unregistered


Mascara said:
­
The homemade kind is much better than the crap they serve in restaurants.

­Well, yeah, that is usually the case. Takeout Chinese is too oil heavy for me and makes me feel sick. I have no idea what they do in China, but hopefully something lighter.


Posted by madelf.
Unregistered


. said: For a steak sandwich you can fry, broil, or boil the meat and serve it whole or sliced.

­How do you prepare it so it isn't dry? Do you cook it rare, medium or well done?


Posted by .
Unregistered


Steak is usually better medium rare. More well done will usually be dryer.


Posted by madelf.
Unregistered


. said: Steak is usually better medium rare. More well done will usually be dryer.

­Sure, as a rule of thumb for steak (filet, strip, flank). Are you the round steak guy? I don't know how to cook that so it's not rubbery or dry.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2a/US_Beef_cuts.svg/400px-US_Beef_cuts.svg.png


Posted by .
Unregistered


For round steak, use low to medium heat, just long enough to get it medium rare.


Posted by Mascara
Reverb Queen


madelf. said:
Mascara said:
­
The homemade kind is much better than the crap they serve in restaurants.

­Well, yeah, that is usually the case. Takeout Chinese is too oil heavy for me and makes me feel sick. I have no idea what they do in China, but hopefully something lighter.

­
They use too much oil.  All you really need is a little bit of oil to cook the vegetables, then some sesame oil, soy sauce and maybe a little mirin for seasoning.


Posted by .
Unregistered


Cooking steak completely well done makes it dry/hard.


Posted by madelf.
Unregistered


Mascara said:
­
They use too much oil.  All you really need is a little bit of oil to cook the vegetables, then some sesame oil, soy sauce and maybe a little mirin for seasoning.

­Yeah... I must have an intolerance to any oil but olive or coconut. No clue why.


Posted by .
Unregistered


Hey madelf, can you fix a BBQ chicken in a roaster oven?



Quick Reply
Moniker:
 

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.

Log In | Register | Close