Topic: Historians: There are at least three guys with odd looking small hats in this photo from NYC
Posted by Original_Lonley_Guy_

What kind of hats are those? Taxi drivers uniform?

Posted by .
Unregistered

Yarmulkes.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Its the Jughead cap. Invert a fedora, and make a crown out of it with scissors. Popular among young people in the 40's. (Jughead Jones wears one in Archie)

Posted by .
Unregistered

Whoopee Hats.

Posted by .
Unregistered

It's New Year's Eve and those are party hats.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Its the Jughead cap. Invert a fedora, and make a crown out of it with scissors. Popular among young people in the 40's. (Jughead Jones wears one in Archie)

­Jughead wore a beanie:

Here's a beanie:

That pic was in 1970 in a tavern in NYC. Anyone else know what those hats are about? Two younger men have them in the foreground and an older guy has one in the back near the stove. Is it some sort of mens fraternity hat? (eg Friars Club or something)?

Posted by .
Unregistered

Original_Lonley_Guy_ said: That pic was in 1970 in a tavern in NYC. Anyone else know what those hats are about? Two younger men have them in the foreground and an older guy has one in the back near the stove. Is it some sort of mens fraternity hat? (eg Friars Club or something)?

­I think you mean 1920, not 1970.

Posted by .
Unregistered

how does the stupid thing even stay on their head? they have to keep their head still?

Posted by .
Unregistered

Original_Lonley_Guy_ said: What kind of hats are those? Taxi drivers uniform?

­Was it taken inside of this joint?

Maybe they are Leprechaun hats worn for St. Paddy's Day?

Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered

Original_Lonley_Guy_ said: That pic was in 1970 in a tavern in NYC. Anyone else know what those hats are about? Two younger men have them in the foreground and an older guy has one in the back near the stove. Is it some sort of mens fraternity hat? (eg Friars Club or something)?

1970?   they must be time travel helmets.

Posted by .
Unregistered

teapots.nli said:

1970?   they must be time travel helmets.

­I got to looking at the men in the pic - the way they are dressed, particularly the one wearing the funny hat in the far right foreground - he's wearing a leather jacket and smoking a pipe - they are in fact dressed in circa 1970 clothing, but the bar looks like it is straight out of 1880. That's why I asked if it was taken inside McSorley's Ale House - it hasn't changed much in the last 100 years.

After doing a little more digging I can confirm that that is in fact the location of that photo.

The little feminine hats are being worn by bargoers due to a judgement ruling that the tavern would have to admit female patrons after operating as an exclusively men-only drinking establishment for over 100 years:

"McSorley's Old Ale House in the East Village opened to women in 1970 after 115 years of male-only patronage. A judge ruled in favor of Faith Seidenberg and DeCrow, who were turned away from the pub on Jan. 9, 1969."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/karen-decrow-feminist-laywer-president-dies-76-article-1.1820634

Posted by teapot.nli
Unregistered

. said:
­I got to looking at the men in the pic - the way they are dressed, particularly the one wearing the funny hat in the far right foreground - he's wearing a leather jacket and smoking a pipe - they are in fact dressed in circa 1970 clothing, but the bar looks like it is straight out of 1880. That's why I asked if it was taken inside McSorley's Ale House - it hasn't changed much in the last 100 years.

I was alive in 1970 son.  People did not dress like that.  That pic is pure 1940's.

Posted by .
Unregistered

teapot.nli said:
. said:

I was alive in 1970 son.  People did not dress like that.  That pic is pure 1940's.

­I was alive in 1970 too.

Check the link, the photo is on that page: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/karen-decrow-feminist-laywer-president-dies-76-article-1.1820634

McSorley's Old Ale House in the East Village opened to women in 1970 after 115 years of male-only patronage. A judge ruled in favor of Faith Seidenberg and DeCrow, who were turned away from the pub on Jan. 9, 1969.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Its the Jughead cap. Invert a fedora, and make a crown out of it with scissors. Popular among young people in the 40's. (Jughead Jones wears one in Archie)

good catch

Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered

It doesn't say that picture is from 1970 (it obviously isn't.  for example why are there no women there and why is everyone wearing 1940's clothes?).

Posted by Katalyst
Agent Provocateur

It's a thing they did during WW2 to indicate "I've left my bike outside".

Posted by .
Unregistered

teapots.nli said: It doesn't say that picture is from 1970 (it obviously isn't.  for example why are there no women there and why is everyone wearing 1940's clothes?).

­They are wearing the hats (which are feminine) as a gag because a couple of feminist bitches took McSorley's to court over not being allowed to drink in the tavern.

It's not that women wanted to drink there in 1970, but they won the right to (if any wanted to).

Of course the two feminist cunts who sued the bar didn't have the balls to show up.

Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered

Here is a pic of that bar 1n 1970.  Yep, that's what people looked like then:

http://livelymorgue.tumblr.com/post/35338788522/after-prohibiting-them-for-116-years-mcsorleys

Posted by .
Unregistered

Here's the inside of McSorley's Ale House today:

Posted by .
Unregistered

teapots.nli said: Here is a pic of that bar 1n 1970.  Yep, that's what people looked like then:

http://livelymorgue.tumblr.com/post/35338788522/after-prohibiting-them-for-116-years-mcsorleys

­You could be right, but middle-aged working-class people still dressed like that in 1970:

http://history.fnal.gov/users_mtgs_wilson.html

Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered

. said:
­You could be right, but middle-aged working-class people still dressed like that in 1970:

http://history.fnal.gov/users_mtgs_wilson.html

Except that those people are not dressed at all like the ones in the OP.­  For starters, they are mostly wearing synthetic fabrics cut completely differently and no hats.

Posted by .
Unregistered

teapots.nli said:

Except that those people are not dressed at all like the ones in the OP.­  For starters, they are mostly wearing synthetic fabrics cut completely differently and no hats.

­Well, maybe the earlier photo was taken during a celebration of the repeal of Prohibition?

Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered

. said:
­Well, maybe the earlier photo was taken during a celebration of the repeal of Prohibition?

Or it could be they installed a holodeck in 1970 and set it to 1946.

OH GOD DAMN IT

YES it is McSorleys. I am the one who provided the photo and TOLD you it is 1970.

I DID NOT ask you to tell me it is McSorleys. I ASKED you to TELL ME WHAT THOSE HATS ARE.

Now FUCKING tell me what those hats are.

AUTISTIC IDIOTS.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.