Topic: Those fees at Las Vegas Strip restaurants? You don’t have to pay them
Posted by .Michael Hiller
Unregistered

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2019-11-07/las-vegas-strip-restaurant-fees-not-required?_amp=true

If you think hotel resort fees in Las Vegas are sneaky, be on the lookout for odd restaurant charges that go by official-sounding names but all add up to one thing: additional profits for the owners.

A handful of bars and restaurants along the Las Vegas Strip tack on fees variously called a “concession fee,” “venue fee” and “CNF,” which can amount to as much as 5% of the total bill. They’re often spelled out in tiny print on the menu, crammed alongside the mandated warnings that consuming undercooked meats and seafood can be dangerous to your health, but you may not notice them until you get the itemized receipt.

When I questioned some servers and bartenders about the added charge, they said the fee was a “tourist tax” assessed on every restaurant and bar along the Strip; most venues build the fee into the menu prices, they said, but some break it out separately to be more “transparent.”

“That’s nonsense,” said Frank Volk, a commercial real estate broker who has represented landlords and tenants in restaurant and bar deals along the Strip for nearly 20 years. “I’ve never heard of these fees in a lease, and there’d be no requirement in a lease to pass these fees on to customers.

“These are made-up fees, pure profit. They charge it because they think no one will question it, so they can get away with it.”

Posted by .
Unregistered

“That’s nonsense,” said Frank Volk, a commercial real estate broker who has represented landlords and tenants in restaurant and bar deals along the Strip for nearly 20 years. “I’ve never heard of these fees in a lease, and there’d be no requirement in a lease to pass these fees on to customers.

“These are made-up fees, pure profit. They charge it because they think no one will question it, so they can get away with it.”­
how utterly stupid can one be?  There is no requirement to pass along costs such as property tax, cooling, lighting, maintenance, etc. yet they all do.  

Tell the oil change place you refuse to pay the disposal fee and see how far you get.

Posted by Fudster
Unregistered

. said:

Tell the oil change place you refuse to pay the disposal fee and see how far you get.

­
Agreed.

If the fee is displayed on the menu, you agree to it when you order.

The restaurant might waive it to avoid trouble, but they aren't required to do so.

Ordering from the menu creates a contract between you and the restaurant. Both are bound by the terms.

If the menu says lobster is $40, the restaurant cannot give you a bill for $60 after you eat it.
If the menu says there is a service charge of 5%, and you proceed to order and eat, you owe the 5%.

Posted by .
Unregistered

The entire city is nothing more than a scam to fleece tourists and the idiots who visit there.

I have been once. Never again.

Posted by .
Unregistered

That's fucking sleazy, fuck those faggots.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Good luck telling the business friendly  po-po you don't have to pay them.

Posted by death2me
Freedom of Movement

This is why heavy and severe regulation of commerce is required.

Posted by Fudster
Unregistered

Why don't one of you step up and file an unfair and deceptive trade practices suit against a LV restaurant?

Because you would lose.

Concession fee doesn't imply a tax. It's just a bullshit fee you agree to the moment you tell Justin that you want the filet mignon.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: The entire city is nothing more than a scam to fleece tourists and the idiots who visit there.

­
Of course. You go off strip for the deals. I don’t gamble and don’t care for washed up acts so once was enough.

Posted by Fudster
Unregistered

. said:
­
 don’t care for washed up acts so once was enough.

­

Say one more bad thing about Brittany Spears. I DARE YOU!!!!!

:rant:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said: The entire city is nothing more than a scam to fleece tourists and the idiots who visit there.

­
Of course. You go off strip for the deals. I don’t gamble and don’t care for washed up acts so once was enough.

There's restaurants off the strip?

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
There's restaurants off the strip?
\
:winner:

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.