Topic: Life is good down by the river
Posted by .JOE
Unregistered

.CrazyAlice said:
­I was baptized in the Nueces River and used to sneak off and go swimming there.

Well I'll be danged, it is a small world aint it? :lol:
Did you grow up down there?
I used to go out and visit my Aunt & cousins for a few weeks in the summers there out in the scrub.

Posted by .CrazyAlice
Unregistered

.JOE said: Speaking of the Nueches River, is the fishing good there? From what the pics show its a beautiful place and a great looking river.
I bet that thing is full of catfish n Gar long as a car!

­It used to be.  My uncle and others would set limb lines and catch some really big ones.
But the bottom moves around a lot.  What is shallow one day is over your head the next.
My uncle also used to dynamite the fish.  He was often a lazy asshole. :madbanana:

Posted by .CrazyAlice
Unregistered

.JOE said:
Well I'll be danged, it is a small world aint it? :lol:
Did you grow up down there?
I used to go out and visit my Aunt & cousins for a few weeks in the summers there out in the scrub.

­Small World Theory.  What is it? Six degrees of separation? :lol:
I grew up outside Huntsville, but my grandparents had a farm at Rocky Springs (which is just a small church).
I would get to spend two weeks with them in the summer and we visited as a family regularly.

Posted by .CrazyAlice
Unregistered

You're not called Red, are you?

Posted by .JOE
Unregistered

Naw, no Red here... :lol:

Posted by .
Unregistered

We all float down here.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Second poster in this thread.

Posted by .JOE
Unregistered

. said: We all float down here.

Whatever you say "Georgie"

Posted by .JOE
Unregistered

It's been a great day down here at the camp... Those kids have been hoopin n hollering and livin it up down there on the 
sandbar all day. I've just been kicked back at camp taking it easy. I went down river earlier and scouted out some trap sets
for the season, the beaver have been working on building up their dam there on the backwater of a slough where the creek comes in.
trapping season should go pretty good this year. I can't wait for the Fall.

Posted by .CrazyAlice
Unregistered

. said: We all float down here.

­:rofl:
It's the wine.  I save all my corks.

Posted by .CrazyAlice
Unregistered

.JOE said: It's been a great day down here at the camp... Those kids have been hoopin n hollering and livin it up down there on the 
sandbar all day. I've just been kicked back at camp taking it easy. I went down river earlier and scouted out some trap sets
for the season, the beaver have been working on building up their dam there on the backwater of a slough where the creek comes in.
trapping season should go pretty good this year. I can't wait for the Fall.

­I spent the day with my sister and we shopped the Good Will and the Can Help stores, plus an Antiques shop.
I bought 2 cds, a vase, and a few wine glasses.
My sister bought me a small lone star cross as a gift.  It was fun, but tired me out.  I usually just sit around doing nothing much.  I should be watering my patio plants even as I type, but keep waiting for RAIN.

There are Beaver building dams??  I never saw those on the Nueches.
I sure hope I am moved in by Autumn, but at least by the 1st of October.

Posted by .JOE
Unregistered

They have a big assed dam there on the slough where a creek comes in, its been there for a while. 
They are constantly working on it, busy lil beavers they are! They will be culled a lil bit this year.

Posted by .CrazyAlice
Unregistered

.JOE said: They have a big assed dam there on the slough where a creek comes in, its been there for a while. 
They are constantly working on it, busy lil beavers they are! They will be culled a lil bit this year.

­What are you going to do with the beaver skins?
I'd just leave them alone myself.
But they might be prolific damn builders.

Posted by .VOTE ON JOE LEAVING
Unregistered

HERES YOUR CHANCE TO GET RID OF MY HOMELESS ASS.

REPLY "GTFO" IF YOU WANT ME TO GO BACK TO F-196

REPLY "STAY" IF YOU WANT ME TO HANG AROUND AT F-2 

BUT YOU GOTTA POST REGGED FOR IT TO COUNT...

I TALLY UP SUNDAY AT 6:00PM CMT.

Posted by .JOE
Unregistered

.CrazyAlice said:

I WILL DRY THEM OUT AND SELL THEM, ALONG WITH THE CASTORS, SKULLS, CLAWS, PENIS BONE, AND I WILL EAT THE MEAT.

A ROAST BEAVER TAIL IS A DELIGHT!

Posted by .CrazyAlice
Unregistered

.JOE said:
.CrazyAlice said:

I WILL DRY THEM OUT AND SELL THEM, ALONG WITH THE CASTORS, SKULLS, CLAWS, PENIS BONE, AND I WILL EAT THE MEAT.

A ROAST BEAVER TAIL IS A DELIGHT!

­If you say so, Joe.
Did your caps key get stuck or are you yelling?

Posted by .
Unregistered

:lol: Sometimes I forget to look an see if I'm in A/Caps, sorry...

Posted by .
Unregistered

Howdy Boss, Beaver.Marketing story here. 

Couple years back the local paper told of public works spending $$$ on new trees in a park. Soon thereafter I bicycled to inspect my tax dollars use. In the distance perhaps a quarter mile were BIG beaver huts. The implications were concerning as the dozen or so birch and ash trees already ten feet high and more than 2 inches in diameter were at risk. A public works guy in his expensive and fully optioned tax payer funded pickup truck sauntered over. We talked, I pointed to the huts. He pointed to the plastic decorative fencing installed around the new trees, got back in the truck and drove away. 

About a week later the same local paper's headline read: Vandals Cut Down Trees, Make Off With $$$ Worth of Property. There were pictures but it looked funny.  I peddled back to the park. Sure enough the big fat beavers had paddled over, sat on their behinds and gnawed away all night. The teeth-marked remaining sharpened stumps were over three feet tall!  They resembled stakes in the ground, pointy side up. I called public works, met with the guys at the park. Off in the distance we could still see bits of green leaves and the fresh white birch bark used in the remodeling project for the newly expanded beaver mansion.

The next spring, the local paper reported the estuary was drained as it caused flooding in the neighborhood there. The beavers got sent farther north by natural resources department. The trees were never replaced.

Posted by .CrazyAlice
Unregistered

. said: :lol: Sometimes I forget to look an see if I'm in A/Caps, sorry...

­No problem. :)

Posted by .JOE
Unregistered

. said: Howdy Boss, Beaver.Marketing story here. 

Couple years back the local paper told of public works spending $$$ on new trees in a park. Soon thereafter I bicycled to inspect my tax dollars use. In the distance perhaps a quarter mile were BIG beaver huts. The implications were concerning as the dozen or so birch and ash trees already ten feet high and more than 2 inches in diameter were at risk. A public works guy in his expensive and fully optioned tax payer funded pickup truck sauntered over. We talked, I pointed to the huts. He pointed to the plastic decorative fencing installed around the new trees, got back in the truck and drove away. 

About a week later the same local paper's headline read: Vandals Cut Down Trees, Make Off With $$$ Worth of Property. There were pictures but it looked funny.  I peddled back to the park. Sure enough the big fat beavers had paddled over, sat on their behinds and gnawed away all night. The teeth-marked remaining sharpened stumps were over three feet tall!  They resembled stakes in the ground, pointy side up. I called public works, met with the guys at the park. Off in the distance we could still see bits of green leaves and the fresh white birch bark used in the remodeling project for the newly expanded beaver mansion.

The next spring, the local paper reported the estuary was drained as it caused flooding in the neighborhood there. The beavers got sent farther north by natural resources department. The trees were never replaced.

NOW THATS FUNNY! 

A beaver can do some damage if left unchecked. they will dam up a place and back-flood the shit out of it...

A beaver don't "gibb a schit" bout your property, only about theirs and that Dam & Condo they intend to build
and maintain. And the lil shits are damned efficient at it too. 
BUT YOU CAN TWART & STOP THAT SHIT SHORT OF KILLING THEM IF YOU WANT TOO...

All it takes is 2 sticks, 2 zip-ties, and a sweaty white Tee shirt & cap, and a good piss. 

1. Zip tie the sticks together in a tall cross & stick in the ground close to the dam, or out on top of it if you can.

2. Put the tee shirt on it and the cap on top of the stick.

The lil shits will see that T shirt flapping in the wind and that cap, It smells human and beaver are shy of people.

It's a stinky potential danger that never leaves, and they cant work on the dam = THEY MOVE.

A regular scarecrow wont work, it has to "smell like a human" to them.

Next time the city has a problem, offer to solve it for em, at a price of course... :lol:

Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered

Ah the old shirt on a stick trick.  That might have worked in colonial days Joe but now we are woke.
\
:beaver:

Posted by .CrazyAlice
Unregistered

.JOE said:
NOW THATS FUNNY! 

A beaver can do some damage if left unchecked. they will dam up a place and back-flood the shit out of it...

A beaver don't "gibb a schit" bout your property, only about theirs and that Dam & Condo they intend to build
and maintain. And the lil shits are damned efficient at it too. 
BUT YOU CAN TWART & STOP THAT SHIT SHORT OF KILLING THEM IF YOU WANT TOO...

All it takes is 2 sticks, 2 zip-ties, and a sweaty white Tee shirt & cap, and a good piss. 

1. Zip tie the sticks together in a tall cross & stick in the ground close to the dam, or out on top of it if you can.

2. Put the tee shirt on it and the cap on top of the stick.

The lil shits will see that T shirt flapping in the wind and that cap, It smells human and beaver are shy of people.

It's a stinky potential danger that never leaves, and they cant work on the dam = THEY MOVE.

A regular scarecrow wont work, it has to "smell like a human" to them.

Next time the city has a problem, offer to solve it for em, at a price of course... :lol:

­The old "knowing where to knock" is invaluable actually. :lol:

What do you call your damn beaverscareman?
If you used an old broom stick,
you caould call them WhichWitch men.

Posted by .JOE
Unregistered

You would be surprised the "nuisance animals" I get called to come and remove for folks and businesses there in town.
They have a dog catcher, but he don't handle anything but dogs & cats. When he runs into coons,snakes etc. He tells em to call me.
A couple welding sleeves & gloves, I'll snatch that sucker up & put em in a sack and take em down to the river & let em go.
If I can't get em that way I'll live trap em. 
The bad snakes, get snuffed on the spot, if I've a mind to have a snake for dinner, the good ones get relocated.
I don't kill what I don't eat or use, I find it wasteful, irresponsible, and cruel.

Posted by .CrazyAlice
Unregistered

I like you, Joe.  You are definitely a country boy.
Do you also like any of the Grateful Dead?
This is my favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uby6jFCDjE&list=RDluAqu8VX5wo&index=6

Posted by .
Unregistered

I like that one from the Dead, I play this one a lot down here too.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.