Topic: Federal background checks are moot. The feds don't enforce the felon in possession laws. Will they
Posted by .
Unregistered

Somehow I doubt it.  The states, like on marijuana, won't have parallel laws and won't enforce the federal one.  That leaves ATF's 3800 employees as the only agents trying to prosecute millions of new crimes per year with no new resources, along with all their other current duties.  And this background check statute will be hard to prosecute because the government has to prove that the transfer occurred after the act's effective date.  Proving this is hard to do for a crime that occurs because documentation is not made and on a gun that may well have been manufactured decades ago.

I'd say trade it for concealed carry reciprocity.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Somehow I doubt it.  The states, like on marijuana, won't have parallel laws and won't enforce the federal one.  That leaves ATF's 3800 employees as the only agents trying to prosecute millions of new crimes per year with no new resources, along with all their other current duties.  And this background check statute will be hard to prosecute because the government has to prove that the transfer occurred after the act's effective date.  Proving this is hard to do for a crime that occurs because documentation is not made and on a gun that may well have been manufactured decades ago.

I'd say trade it for concealed carry reciprocity.

I'd say repeal all guns laws as they are all unconstitutional to begin with. The Second Amendment IS the law. No other laws needed.

Until someone can give a rational explanation how keeping Martha Stewart from buying a gun at Walmart for her nightstand is somehow in the publics best interest of safety, the argument of background checks falls flat. Feel good laws do nothing to stop crime and only make criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens. The money spent on worthless gun laws is outrageously stupid when you factor in they provide zero benefit in return. Even the most liberal universities have agreed via studies that a person who has not reoffended after 11-13 years is no more of a risk than a non-offender. Yet we spend billions annually keeping Pete Rose from buying a firearm. It simply defies logic.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.