Topic: The currrent U.S. employment situation is very fragile.
Posted by .
Unregistered


The headline unemployment rate is the lowest in 50 years, but the nature of many jobs leaves them vulnerable to even a mild recession. More than a third of workers now use the gig economy as their primary employment. These workers have no benefits or protection against redundancy, and most are in non-essential industries (Uber, Grubhub, etc). These are minor luxuries that people will do without if they need to. As most consumers have no savings, a mild recession leading to a dip in the gig economy could have a major effect on spending and the broader economy.


Posted by .
Unregistered


Better than being unemployed and sucking the gubmint teat.


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said: The headline unemployment rate is the lowest in 50 years, but the nature of many jobs leaves them vulnerable to even a mild recession. More than a third of workers now use the gig economy as their primary employment. These workers have no benefits or protection against redundancy, and most are in non-essential industries (Uber, Grubhub, etc). These are minor luxuries that people will do without if they need to. As most consumers have no savings, a mild recession leading to a dip in the gig economy could have a major effect on spending and the broader economy.

Uber is counted as employment?


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said:
Uber is counted as employment?

­

yes.


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said: The headline unemployment rate is the lowest in 50 years, but the nature of many jobs leaves them vulnerable to even a mild recession. More than a third of workers now use the gig economy as their primary employment. These workers have no benefits or protection against redundancy, and most are in non-essential industries (Uber, Grubhub, etc). These are minor luxuries that people will do without if they need to. As most consumers have no savings, a mild recession leading to a dip in the gig economy could have a major effect on spending and the broader economy.

­
link?


Posted by .
Unregistered


More than a third of workers now use the gig economy as their primary employment­




OP, do you have proof for this?  I know the economy is all smoke and mirrors, dependent on lots of debt but a third seems a wee bit high


Posted by .
Unregistered


https://boingboing.net/2019/06/10/asset-stripped-working-stiffs.html

But it’s a new kind of poverty too — or at least one unseen since the Weimar Republic, really. It’s the poverty of decline, degeneration, decay. It’s the poverty of a middle class becoming a new poor. It’s the reversal of an upwards trajectory — not the failure to launch. It’s people who expected to live better and better lives finding themselves in the grim, unfamiliar predicament of never being able to reach them, no matter what they do. Except maybe sell out and become one of the predators. What happens when that takes place? Something strange, something difficult, something paradoxical and backwards.

If I say to the average American — “hey, I know you’re poor. Listen, I’m not trying to insult you. I’m trying to help you. I know it. The statistics tell me so. I can see it in on your stressed out, depressed face. I can see it in everything about you now” — what will the average American say? Well, he or she will respond defensively, probably. “Hey, go to hell buddy! I’m not poor!” That’s understandable. Nobody likes to be called poor — and especially not Americans, because living in a hyper capitalist society, poverty is stigmatized, scorned, mocked, and hated. To call an American poor is something like calling a Soviet a bad communist party member — or maybe even a capitalist. Comrade! To the gulag with you!


Posted by .
Unregistered


Dats too many jobs! Spread dem unemployment's out!
\
:libduet:


Posted by .
Unregistered


good article from boingboing.  Another good one is from Neil Gabler, famous writer who is arriving at retirement flat broke.  I will try to track down the article.


Posted by .
Unregistered


Should be more Antifragile.
\
:artbell:


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said: good article from boingboing.  Another good one is from Neil Gabler, famous writer who is arriving at retirement flat broke.  I will try to track down the article.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/my-secret-shame/476415/
­
sorry, name is NEAL


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said: Should be more Antifragile.
\
:artbell:

­
Taleb will be the first to profit from the collapse.


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said: Dats too many jobs! Spread dem unemployment's out!
\
:libduet:

­
patience, we'll push it up in 2020 bigly.
\
:lib:


Posted by .
Unregistered


. said: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/10/asset-stripped-working-stiffs.html

But it’s a new kind of poverty too — or at least one unseen since the Weimar Republic, really. It’s the poverty of decline, degeneration, decay. It’s the poverty of a middle class becoming a new poor. It’s the reversal of an upwards trajectory — not the failure to launch. It’s people who expected to live better and better lives finding themselves in the grim, unfamiliar predicament of never being able to reach them, no matter what they do. Except maybe sell out and become one of the predators. What happens when that takes place? Something strange, something difficult, something paradoxical and backwards.

If I say to the average American — “hey, I know you’re poor. Listen, I’m not trying to insult you. I’m trying to help you. I know it. The statistics tell me so. I can see it in on your stressed out, depressed face. I can see it in everything about you now” — what will the average American say? Well, he or she will respond defensively, probably. “Hey, go to hell buddy! I’m not poor!” That’s understandable. Nobody likes to be called poor — and especially not Americans, because living in a hyper capitalist society, poverty is stigmatized, scorned, mocked, and hated. To call an American poor is something like calling a Soviet a bad communist party member — or maybe even a capitalist. Comrade! To the gulag with you!

Yep, the country is so fucking Jewed that it's being completely dismantled from the inside out. And yet, Americans will still happily swallow copious amounts of kike semen and agree to send $38 billion to Israel.­ The perfect goyim cattle.



Quick Reply
Moniker:
 

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.

Log In | Register | Close