Topic: Car Tards: Pickup truck has been parked for months with a dead battery. So I start it up and...
Posted by .
Unregistered

I can't put it into gear.

It's a manual transmission.    Months ago, it was shifting fine, but now it won't go into gear.

I don't see how the clutch can wear out just by sitting there.

Posted by .
Unregistered

The problem may be with the gear box instead of the clutch. :shrug:

Posted by .
Unregistered

Clutch hydraulics  master or slave cylinder or both. Possible over the months you lost fluid.

Posted by .
Unregistered

The clutch is probably 'stuck'. With the engine not running try shifting into a gear.

Posted by .
Unregistered

clutch probably stuck, sometimes you can pull it off and it will free up. if trans will shift while truck is not running then that would be my first guess.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: The clutch is probably 'stuck'. With the engine not running try shifting into a gear.

hey we posted the same time, great minds think alike.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Wait for Richie to show up. He knows about these things.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: clutch probably stuck, sometimes you can pull it off and it will free up. if trans will shift while truck is not running then that would be my first guess.

Yeah, I can shift it into gears when the truck isn't running.

But once I start it up, it won't shift.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Have fun.  :lol: :fag:

http://www.mossmotoring.com/free-seized-clutch-disc/

Posted by .
Unregistered

shouldn't you be posting this in a VEHICLE board?  Dolt.

It's a know fact that no one posting on this board can afford a vehicle.

Posted by Mechanic
Unregistered

It means it's totaled.  You need to get a new car.

Posted by .
Unregistered

he probably doesn't know how to drive a 5-speed anyway.

Posted by .
Unregistered

The clutch plate may be stuck to the flywheel. Put the transmission in 4th or 5th gear, push the clutch in and try to start the car . Be careful to not let it hit anything if it moves.That may free it up. I had that happen on my International after it sat a long time.

Posted by .Richie Richvale
Unregistered

Check you’re tire pressure :dumbass:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: The clutch plate may be stuck to the flywheel. Put the transmission in 4th or 5th gear, push the clutch in and try to start the car . Be careful to not let it hit anything if it moves.That may free it up. I had that happen on my International after it sat a long time.

Just starting the car in 5th gear will free it up?

Posted by Greasemonkey
Unregistered

. said:
hey we posted the same time, great minds think alike.

­
It's quite common for the clutch friction plate to rust onto the flywheel if the vehicle sits for a long period. Select 3rd gear, hold the clutch pedal down & get someone to give you a tow & you may be able to get the friction plate free.

Posted by .real Richie
Unregistered

Did you replace the clutch and transmission batteries?

Posted by .
Unregistered

Just start the truck in 1st gear and shift it like an 18 speed road ranger. 

WE DOAN NEED NO STEENKIN CLOTCHES

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said: The clutch plate may be stuck to the flywheel. Put the transmission in 4th or 5th gear, push the clutch in and try to start the car . Be careful to not let it hit anything if it moves.That may free it up. I had that happen on my International after it sat a long time.

­It should if that is the problem.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Clutch hydraulics  master or slave cylinder or both. Possible over the months you lost fluid.

Any resistance when depressing the clutch pedal?

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:

­It should if that is the problem.

­
My motorcycle clutch plates stick after sitting long enough. I put it in gear, pull in the clutch lever and after few jabs at the kick start they free up.

Posted by .Real Richie
Unregistered

. said:
. said: clutch probably stuck, sometimes you can pull it off and it will free up. if trans will shift while truck is not running then that would be my first guess.

Yeah, I can shift it into gears when the truck isn't running.

But once I start it up, it won't shift.

­The clutch is stuck to the flywheel. Put the truck in 1st gear and start it in gear when you get to the road hit the gas to the floor and let off quickly several times with the clutch pedal in and the disc will free up. Good luck.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.