Topic: How long should you keep a car you bought new?
Posted by .
Unregistered

Ten years? Five?

Posted by .
Unregistered

Aim for 20 years but at least keep it for 15 years.

Posted by .
Unregistered

I bought a Civic daily driver new in 2014. Has 74,000 miles now. It should run for many more years. I’m tempted to buy something else then remember how retarded it is financially.

Posted by .
Unregistered

a Ferrari -- forever?

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Aim for 20 years but at least keep it for 15 years.

­
I've done that with two cars but after ten years they started needing major repairs like the air conditioner, anti-lock brakes, struts/shocks, exhaust system, etc. I think ten years is about the right time to get a new car.

Posted by .
Unregistered

When monthly repairs are costing you more than the payments on a new car, it's time to buy a new car.

Also consider upcoming maintenance costs and concerns like needed new breaks, tires, suspension, before considering a major repair.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Buying a brand new car is retarded. Buy a used car with 20,000 miles for 70% of the new car price.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Buying a brand new car is retarded. Buy a used car with 20,000 miles for 70% of the new car price.

­
Stop lying you bullshit bastard!

Quite feasible to get a 20-30 percent discount off msrp sticker price on a new car so it costs the same as a used car. Buy the new car.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Buying a brand new car is retarded. Buy a used car with 20,000 miles for 70% of the new car price.

­
And inherit someone else's problems? You don't know how the car was used or abused or maintained.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
And inherit someone else's problems? You don't know how the car was used or abused or maintained.

­

A friend recently bought a used ford SUV (no idea what model) with about 25000km on it.  Driving back to Ottawa the first weekend the AWD gave out and needed to be totally replaced, within 2 weeks it developed a bumpy/shudder thing, and the nav screen flickers so much that it's not usable.  The 2 local ford dealers give him a terrible time about it and refuse to return his money.  They will "buy it back" at book value though so a lost of several thousand dollars for him to just get rid of it.

Buying used can be tricky.  Nobody gets rid of a car that functions properly.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: When monthly repairs are costing you more than the payments on a new car, it's time to buy a new car.

Also consider upcoming maintenance costs and concerns like needed new breaks, tires, suspension, before considering a major repair.

­"new breaks"
/
:winner:

:facepalm:

It's BRAKES you fucking CRETIN. You CUNT.
/
:oldlady:

Posted by .
Unregistered

As you know, I drive a turbocharged MERCEDES-BENZ, in silver.  How long should I keep it?  Well, let's suppose you asked me that question in 1969 and I had just bought a MERCEDES-BENZ 280SL, in silver.  New, in 196, it cost $10,234.  If I had kept it for 3 years and then sold it, I would have lost roughly 40% i.e. $4,093.  If I had kept it, it would be worth $200,000.

So, how long should you keep a new car for?  Well, it largely depends on what brand and type of car you purchase.  A Chevrolet Spark should not be purchased in the first place.  A MERCEDES-BENZ, in silver, should be kept forever.
/
:snob:

Posted by ASE certified
Unregistered

Typically I keep a car for ±30 years, or until parts become unobtainable.    :digtbk2:

Posted by death2me
Dumb, worthless failure.

. said: Aim for 20 years but at least keep it for 15 years.

­:thumbup:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: When monthly repairs are costing you more than the payments on a new car, it's time to buy a new car.

I have owned 4 new cars and never paid a dime in repairs before having paid them off.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
Stop lying you bullshit bastard!

Quite feasible to get a 20-30 percent discount off msrp sticker price on a new car so it costs the same as a used car. Buy the new car.

­
^^. This. Done it both ways multiple timbs. New car is usually cheaper in the long run. Depends what your buying i suppose.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.