Topic: Does anyone eat Pizza Hut anymore?
Posted by Katalyst
Agent Provocateur

. said:
­
They have restaurants around the world, but not the outskirts of Kanada.

­
I don't live on any outskirts.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Katalyst said:
­
I don't live on any outskirts.
\
:bluebunny:

Posted by .
Unregistered

Those big Pizza Huts with the pizza hut roof also served beer. People don't remember, and the company doesn't seem to, that those were competing with Shakey's, not Domino's. There was another chain that was a distant #3 in the Shakey's/Pizza Hut category. With beer. I don't remember its name clearly. Village Pizza or something like that.

AFAIK the big Pizza Huts still in existence gave up their beer licenses. Going smaller with no beer saved them, Shakey's and Village(?) collapsed.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Aha. It was "Village Inn Pizza Parlor". Several still exist but I think they are now independent, no franchisor to back them up. Pics here showing they once had a standard design big roof too. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=village+inn+pizza&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Anyone near one? I remember the pizza was pretty good.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Those big Pizza Huts with the pizza hut roof also served beer. People don't remember, and the company doesn't seem to, that those were competing with Shakey's, not Domino's. There was another chain that was a distant #3 in the Shakey's/Pizza Hut category. With beer. I don't remember its name clearly. Village Pizza or something like that.

AFAIK the big Pizza Huts still in existence gave up their beer licenses. Going smaller with no beer saved them, Shakey's and Village(?) collapsed.

Shakey's didn't collapse.  They seemed to have shrunk in the US, but grew in Asia.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
Shakey's didn't collapse.  They seemed to have shrunk in the US, but grew in Asia.

I think 400 and growing, down to one is a collapse.

Posted by rex.NLI
Unregistered

" I used to since our town is in the boondocks, but that usually meant an hour to and hour and a half wait on delivery on a weekend or during sporting events on the TV. Now they opened a mom and pop store that delivers nearby, tastes better and is cheaper ( I usually tip them an extra $5 ) they also never fuck up my order since its always a medium deep dish with tomatoes and Canadian bacon with extra marinara.

Otherwise  it being a Monday I'll go grab a $4 meatball at subway down the street for wrasslin later on.  "
\
:420:

Shakeys was great but growing up in Orange County I liked Round Table Pizza, they were greasy as fuck but not belly bombers and their lobby had 'Operation Wolf' and 'Dragonslayer'. The owner used to sell pizzas by the slice when school let out down the road.

Also in the late 90s Little Caesars was right across the street from my friends that dealed weed and shrooms, at mostly jacked up rates to shitheads from the nearby cyber cafe. We used  to send out and play Twisted Metal on the PS and watch RAW is WAR, WCW and ECW flipping back and forth.
So much loose pussy and weekend partys going through the place back then.
:rockon: Good Times.

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said:
. said:

I think 400 and growing, down to one is a collapse.

­I can remember back in the early 1970s Shakey's was the bigger of the two chains, but it seemed like Shakey's was older and on the way out, and they went out around here while Pizza Huts popped up like mushrooms. By the mid 1970s Pizza Hut was ruling the roost.

Posted by .
Unregistered

I would love to have a real Shakey's pizza again :sad:

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said: I would love to have a real Shakey's pizza again :sad:

­As I recall, they weren't all that great - kinda like school-lunch room pizza.

Godfather's pizza was my second-favorite after the Hut.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Shakey's was a sweet sugary sauce pizza with a thinnish crust, with the rice size cheese that you could watch them spread as they made it. I liked it.

One Godfather's opened kinda near me. Just one. It was very good at the beginning, then it got worse, then it closed, 3 or 4 years from open to close.

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said: Aha. It was "Village Inn Pizza Parlor". Several still exist but I think they are now independent, no franchisor to back them up. Pics here showing they once had a standard design big roof too. 

Anyone near one? I remember the pizza was pretty good.

­
Modified A-Frame architecture.

We had a restaurant built like that here in town once, it was a drive-in built in 1959, I don't think they served pizza though. http://www.birminghamrewound.com/sherers.htm

Apparently they were also the first site in town to sell Kentucky Fried Chicken before someone built a stand-alone franchise. The Colonel met his first wife here in Jasper back before he got into the chicken business while working for the railroad.

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said: Shakey's was a sweet sugary sauce pizza with a thinnish crust, with the rice size cheese that you could watch them spread as they made it. I liked it.

One Godfather's opened kinda near me. Just one. It was very good at the beginning, then it got worse, then it closed, 3 or 4 years from open to close.

­Yeah, I don't know of any Godfather's that are still in business around here. The last one I knew of was up in Huntsville, Alabama, and I wasn't impressed with their pizza the one time I stopped in to have some. Seems like they were good back in the late 70s or early 80s though, when they first started opening around here.

Posted by FAKT
Unregistered

There is NO good pizza south of the Manson/Nixon line.

Posted by .
Unregistered

rex.NLI said: " I used to since our town is in the boondocks, but that usually meant an hour to and hour and a half wait on delivery on a weekend or during sporting events on the TV. Now they opened a mom and pop store that delivers nearby, tastes better and is cheaper ( I usually tip them an extra $5 ) they also never fuck up my order since its always a medium deep dish with tomatoes and Canadian bacon with extra marinara.

Otherwise  it being a Monday I'll go grab a $4 meatball at subway down the street for wrasslin later on.  "
\
:420:

Shakeys was great but growing up in Orange County I liked Round Table Pizza, they were greasy as fuck but not belly bombers and their lobby had 'Operation Wolf' and 'Dragonslayer'. The owner used to sell pizzas by the slice when school let out down the road.

Also in the late 90s Little Caesars was right across the street from my friends that dealed weed and shrooms, at mostly jacked up rates to shitheads from the nearby cyber cafe. We used  to send out and play Twisted Metal on the PS and watch RAW is WAR, WCW and ECW flipping back and forth.
So much loose pussy and weekend partys going through the place back then.
:rockon: Good Times.

I hate your shitty italicized posts.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Is Pizza Hut just a flyover thing? In the Northeast nobody goes to them (except poor whites and kneegrows). Too many good independent places.

There's one maybe an hour from me. It is situated near a Navy base and some Sec 8 housing, of course.

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said: Is Pizza Hut just a flyover thing? In the Northeast nobody goes to them (except poor whites and kneegrows). Too many good independent places.

There's one maybe an hour from me. It is situated near a Navy base and some Sec 8 housing, of course.

­The little town I live in has:

Pizza Hut
Dominos
Papa Johns
Little Ceasars
Johnny Brusco's

If I want a GOOD pizza, I get a supreme pan pizza from Pizza Hut

If I want a CHEAP $5 pizza for the kids, I get one from Little Caesar's

If someone wants to know a NICE sit-down pizza restaurant to go to, I tell them to go to Johnny Brusco's.

Posted by .
Unregistered

All the pizza huts near my hood are carryout.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Pizza Hut is still not too bad, but I'd rather go to my local mom and pop place.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Pizza Hut is still not too bad, but I'd rather go to my local mom and pop place.

I agree, it's edible but the local wops make more better pizza.

Posted by .
Unregistered

It's good pizza if you avoid the value menu shit.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: They ought to shut down. Too many product choices and not enough focus on making good pizza.

Their pan pizzas used to be good. Now they suck and taste like artificial cheese.

­You say they should be shutdown. That's funny, because all of the Pizza Huts in my city have shutdown. Not one left. Although, none of the Dominos pizzas have gone out of business. Which is the only pizza I eat.

Posted by .
Unregistered

First time I ever ate PH was in a place like Akins posted, sometime in the late 80's, maybe 87-8 ish. This was back before they started delivering so may have been a bit earlier. Anyway, pizza was awesome, fountain cola in a huge pitcher, nice relaxed atmosphere like you describe, really enjoyable experience. Sometime in the 90's though, after they started delivery, their pizza just became a round grease sponge and was not as good as it was at all. Now its greasy and tastes like crap, probably shit tier bread/cheese/meat made to taste apostatizing by soaking it all in MSG. Fuck. That. :thumbdown:

Posted by .
Unregistered

I hate pizza hut buffet ONCE.
I gained 5 pounds.
It's carb hell.

Needs to go out of business and be replaced with a salad bar.

Posted by .
Unregistered

If your pizza doesn't come from a place that makes salad like this, it's shit pizza.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.