Topic: Akins, any good geocaches near your house????
Posted by .
Unregistered

Here's another one for you Steve... And you'll like this one and should be very familiar to you. 

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM59_William_Akin_Sr

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
Akins said: I don't know what a geo-catcher is.

I've heard of them, but never was curious enough to look up anything about them to find out what it is.

­
They look for items placed using a GPS unit. A scavenger hunt game, and it's real popular with families, as my daughter enjoys finding them with me. You can sign the log or exchange items out of a geocache. 

Your children would probably like the game, heck even you might like it.

Round here we call that littering.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: I hid a Whopper wrapper behind my house in Lexington, KY. If any of you find it log yourselves.
:whitetrash:

:rolleyes:  It's like a cool scavenger hunt and I'm definitely going to try it.  Yuo=lame/boring.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said: I hid a Whopper wrapper behind my house in Lexington, KY. If any of you find it log yourselves.
:whitetrash:

:rolleyes:  It's like a cool scavenger hunt and I'm definitely going to try it.  Yuo=lame/boring.

Yeah, I was told it's somewhere over there in the bushes...........FOUND IT!!! Only took 4 minutes. Took 15 to drive here. God dammit. OH SWEET. There is a TENNIS BALL in here! AND A MELTED TWIX!! SWEET!!!! Aw, damn.... I wonder if some untrustworthy perso contaminated it. I wonder if someone has jizzed on this box? GET ME THE HAND SANITIZER. Here. Let me type my name in here............Ah. Life is worth living.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Waymarking.com just involves visiting the site then commenting about your experience there. No container there.

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said: Steve, you might be interested in this.. It's a sister site of geocaching.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMBZ6T_SP_5_Adrian_Akins_Jasper_AL

You can go visit it and log it also, no container. Someone actually took the time to research this and put it up on the website. 

­Yeah, Adrian was a distant cousin of mine. He is descended from my great-great-grandfather's younger brother, Isaiah Q. Akins.

My great-great-grandfather and a couple of his brothers moved to this area in 1862. One of their aunts, Elizabeth Quatermus, who married a guy named Riddlesburger, had moved here, and I guess they talked my family into moving here. My great-great-grandfather and his two brothyers that had moved here all ended up volunteering to join the Confederate Army not long after they got here and were gone fighting in the Civil War for the next three years.

My great grandfather Akins, who used to run the store where that sign is, remembered the Yankees coming through this area near the end of the war. The Yankees raided all the farms in the area, burned the courthouse. My great grandfather said the Yankee soldiers gave him a nickle to chase the chickens out from under their house, so they could catch them. They took everything except for a ham that was left hanging iun the smokehouse, and my great grandfather's mother was afraid they had poisoned that and wouldn't let anyone eat it.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
Yeah, I was told it's somewhere over there in the bushes...........FOUND IT!!! Only took 4 minutes. Took 15 to drive here. God dammit. OH SWEET. There is a TENNIS BALL in here! AND A MELTED TWIX!! SWEET!!!! Aw, damn.... I wonder if some untrustworthy perso contaminated it. I wonder if someone has jizzed on this box? GET ME THE HAND SANITIZER. Here. Let me type my name in here............Ah. Life is worth living.

:potd: :lol:

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said: Here's another one for you Steve... And you'll like this one and should be very familiar to you. 

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM59_William_Akin_Sr

­Yep, that's my great-great-great-great-grandfather, the first one of my ancestors to settle in Alabama (he was born on the Mason-Dixon line between Maryland and Pennsylvania in 1756, moved to North Carolina with his parents in 1777 and joined the Raevolutionary War, eventually was promoted to first lieutenant. Later served as sheriff of York Co., South Carolina, moved to Georgia before 1820, and moved to Alabama in the 1830s.

I've been up there to his gravesite many times.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Did they give their lives for the Jew, Akins?

Posted by .
Unregistered

Akins said:
­Yep, that's my great-great-great-great-grandfather, the first one of my ancestors to settle in Alabama (he was born on the Mason-Dixon line between Maryland and Pennsylvania in 1756, moved to North Carolina with his parents in 1777 and joined the Raevolutionary War, eventually was promoted to first lieutenant. Later served as sheriff of York Co., South Carolina, moved to Georgia before 1820, and moved to Alabama in the 1830s.

He was a good aid for the Joo system, good Joo sheriff.

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said: Did they give their lives for the Jew, Akins?

­No, none of my ancestors died in the wars, well, except one on my mother's side of the family, Thomas J. Hollis. He was captured by the Yankees in the Civil War and was stuck in a POW prison in Rock Island, Illinois, where he got sick and died.

His wife was pregnant with my great-great-grandmother when all that happened. She never got to see her father.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Akins said:

­
You should log that waymark as a find and comment about the history of him. Even upload some pictures. Other waymarkers like to read that kind of history.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
Akins said:

­
You should log that waymark as a find and comment about the history of him. Even upload some pictures. Other hopeless doofs like to read that kind of history.

FIFY

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said:
Akins said:

He was a good aid for the Joo system, good Joo sheriff.

­I don't think there were very many Jews in that part of South Carolina back in the 1700s. All the Jews were over in Charleston.

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said:
Akins said:

­
You should log that waymark as a find and comment about the history of him. Even upload some pictures. Other waymarkers like to read that kind of history.

­He died in 1841, I don't think they had cameras back then.

Posted by .
Unregistered

What is interesting about the Akins Sr waymark, it was the 59th one published and there are over a 1,000,000 of them published now. So it's a very rare original one for the website.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Akins said:

­
I meant anything about him.......

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
I meant anything about him.......

:moran:

Posted by .
Unregistered

Akins said:

The first photographs were from the mid 1820s.  Aside from that, before photographers were common, there were many portraitists.

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said: What is interesting about the Akins Sr waymark, it was the 59th one published and there are over a 1,000,000 of them published now. So it's a very rare original one for the website.

­Yeah, it's in kinda of an out of the way spot. Big old spooky-looking cemetery overlooking old cotton-fields, tucked away outside a tiny little town called Spring Garden, up in the northeast corner of Alabama.

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said:
Akins said:

The first photographs were from the mid 1820s.  Aside from that, before photographers were common, there were many portraitists.

­Yeah, I wish that I had a picture of him. Always wondered what he looked like.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Akins said:
­Yeah, it's in kinda of an out of the way spot. Big old spooky-looking cemetery overlooking old cotton-fields, tucked away outside a tiny little town called Spring Garden, up in the northeast corner of Alabama.

The cemetery was for whites, the field, blacks.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Akins said:
­Yeah, I wish that I had a picture of him. Always wondered what he looked like.

:beta:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:

:lol: You're a bit paranoid....black people would never do this..ever... It's a pirate trait they don't carry..like Christopher Columbus kinda shit.  In fact, if we didn't import them, they'd still be in Africa.

Posted by Akins
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

. said:
Akins said:

The cemetery was for whites, the field, blacks.

­A tornado came through there back in 1884, killed my great-great-great-grandfather's brother & his wife and several of their children. I came across a newspaper article on it back when I was compiling the history of my family:

http://clanakins.weebly.com/civil-war.html

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.