Topic: I'm really discouraged by the current direction of technology.
Posted by .
Unregistered

Back in the 90s and 2000s it seemed like we were on the verge of another Rennaisance era, when technology would be the key to unleashing immense creative potential. Art, music, and most importantly freedom were improving dramatically with the advent of the internet and connected devices that everyone could use. 

But now an ominous storm seems to be imminently on the horizon. Big data. Autonomous drones and other killing machines. Consolidation and commoditization of everything related to technology and the internet. Small websites and creative media cannot propsper when Google is the gatekeeper of the internet. Truth and freedom of opinion cannot flourish if governments are allowed to control the distribution.

Personal freedom is at stake when you are saddled with a tracking device that can never be switched off.

All in the name of "making the world a better place", of course. Or in other words profit. 

I pity the poor bastards in Africa who will soon be connected to this network of propaganda.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Aw come on, who doesn't want their smartphone to be constantly connected to their thermostat, smoke detector, TV, car, computer, light switch, light bulb, webcam, dropcam, sexcam, nightlight, and bank account?

It's convenient!

Posted by .
Unregistered

Everything is automatic. Your paycheck is direct deposited sans taxes and any fees. Your bills are automatically deducted every month. Leaves a lot of time to focus on being a good little slave. Plug in and consume.

Posted by .
Unregistered

There's a lot of innovation going on right now, it's just that most of it is out of reach of the layman's understanding unless he's willing to put in the effort.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: There's a lot of innovation going on right now, it's just that most of it is out of reach of the layman's understanding unless he's willing to put in the effort.

Most of the innovation has to do with data mining and data gathering. This is mostly because that's where the funding comes from.

Posted by .
Unregistered

You should watch Silicon Valley
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2575988/

Posted by .
Unregistered

Hardware is shrinking, just as it always has been. Pretty soon everything will have a disposable SoC with a couple of radios on it. It will be inescapable.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: You should watch Silicon Valley
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2575988/

Posted by .
Unregistered

If you disregard all the bullshit in Silicon Valley, and if you follow the money, it's all really funded by the US government and the goal is total surveillance.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Aw come on, who doesn't want their smartphone to be constantly connected to their thermostat, smoke detector, TV, car, computer, light switch, light bulb, webcam, dropcam, sexcam, nightlight, and bank account?

It's convenient!

What could possibly go wrong, right?

The only thing that's convenient is for some asshole to outsmart the Hundushit code and the Hindushit support people to gain control of your bank account.

Posted by .
Unregistered

The hacks you've seen so far are small potatoes compared to what's coming.

Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered

Troof -- nobody would have believed it at the time but GeoCities was the height of the interwebs :frown:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Back in the 90s and 2000s it seemed like we were on the verge of another Rennaisance era, when technology would be the key to unleashing immense creative potential. Art, music, and most importantly freedom were improving dramatically with the advent of the internet and connected devices that everyone could use. 

But now an ominous storm seems to be imminently on the horizon. Big data. Autonomous drones and other killing machines. Consolidation and commoditization of everything related to technology and the internet. Small websites and creative media cannot propsper when Google is the gatekeeper of the internet. Truth and freedom of opinion cannot flourish if governments are allowed to control the distribution.

Personal freedom is at stake when you are saddled with a tracking device that can never be switched off.

All in the name of "making the world a better place", of course. Or in other words profit. 

I pity the poor bastards in Africa who will soon be connected to this network of propaganda.

Great post.

I agree 110%.

I did a short piece concerning technological advancement and the dependence and helplessness that ensues ("The Fall of Humanity").  http://www.soundclick.com/jptn

Also Ted Kaczynski was right, I suggest you check out "Industrial Society and Its Future". Note I do not personally condone bombing or violence.

Posted by .
Unregistered

The problem is when the web was commercialized it followed the path of every other unregulated economy. Small players were consolidated, and one big monopoly formed. This monopoly is Google. They are a gatekeeper of the internet. If you're not in their index, you don't exist. By monopolizing information, they have complete control over its dissemination.

Posted by MondoWeiss
Unregistered

No, tech is just fine.  Think of what Apple, PhotoShop, CorelDraw, etc have done for the art world.  Think of all the people making original music in their bedrooms, independent of the record industry.  Do you want to go back to washing laundry on rocks in the river?

There are other problems in society that don't allow us to see the fruition of technology such as poor urban planning, taxes, blax, inflation, etc.

Posted by Original_Lonley_Guy_

OP what you are really feeling is aging. Technology is remaking the familiar into something similar but completely different.

Thats threatening to old people, but really is just the way it has always been. In 20 years you won't recognize most things. Everything will be modified by tech advances.

You need to find a way to embrace it. My grandftaher learned how to use compuers in his business at the youthful age of 75.

Posted by .
Unregistered

MondoWeiss said: No, tech is just fine.  Think of what Apple, PhotoShop, CorelDraw, etc have done for the art world.  Think of all the people making original music in their bedrooms, independent of the record industry.  Do you want to go back to washing laundry on rocks in the river?

There are other problems in society that don't allow us to see the fruition of technology such as poor urban planning, taxes, blax, inflation, etc.

What you are talking about are tech advances for the individual. Those were the product of the 90s and 2000s. Now all of that is moving to "the cloud", aka central control.

Can you even buy photoshop anymore?

Everyday, i see hundred of 25 year old bimbos using small Unix computers to make their life easier. That cracks me the fuck up and was not something I would have believed if you told me in 1990.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Original_Lonley_Guy_ said: OP what you are really feeling is aging. Technology is remaking the familiar into something similar but completely different.

Thats threatening to old people, but really is just the way it has always been. In 20 years you won't recognize most things. Everything will be modified by tech advances.

You need to find a way to embrace it. My grandftaher learned how to use compuers in his business at the youthful age of 75.

An uneducated blanket statement at best.

What is happening is not moving from a typewriter to a computer. It's moving from a computer to a group of devices connected to a central database you have no control over.

It started going in the right direction, but then took a totalitarian turn.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Original_Lonley_Guy_ said: Everyday, i see hundred of  25 year old bimbos using small Unix computers to make their life easier. That cracks me the fuck up and was not something I would have believed if you told me in 1990.

The terminal is irrelevant as the value has shifted to a central provider. They could roll out an update that replaces the kernel tomorrow and you wouldn't notice.

. said:
An uneducated blanket statement at best.

What is happening is not moving from a typewriter to a computer. It's moving from a computer to a group of devices connected to a central database you have no control over.

It started going in the right direction, but then took a totalitarian turn.

­
Don't insult me, jackass. Just like regulation has protected consumers from tech advances in the past it will do so in the future.

In the end the corporatists won't be able to do whatever the fuck they want.

And if you are one of those paranoid "the government wants to kill me" types, theres nothing I can say to you.

Posted by .
Unregistered

I recommend you take a look at how deeply Google is involved with the US government. It may change your perspective.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said: There's a lot of innovation going on right now, it's just that most of it is out of reach of the layman's understanding unless he's willing to put in the effort.

Most of the innovation has to do with data mining and data gathering. This is mostly because that's where the funding comes from.

Thats what the government is doing to the people. There not watching our enemies they are watching us.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
Thats what the government is doing to the people. There not watching our enemies they are watching us.

There
\
:winner:

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.