Topic: Let's say you're a software developer, is it better to be self employed or work for somebody else?
Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:
­
You need to specialize in something relatively obscure if you want to make good money. Microsoft/SQL Server developers do not make good money.

And avoid the "Jack of all trades" trap. I know you are proud you know a little about a lot, but it makes you the lowest of the low.

­
What is wrong with jack of all trades?

If that obscure thing goes away or others catch on and learn it than you are screwed

­
It's this kind of thinking/pride that keeps you at the bottom of the payscale. Trust me, I know alot about this. Specialize. Run away from .NET/SQL Server or the script kiddie open source framework of the day.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
It's this kind of thinking/pride that keeps you at the bottom of the payscale. Trust me, I know alot about this. Specialize. Run away from .NET/SQL Server or the script kiddie open source framework of the day.

What do you suggest instead?  There are a lot of jobs out there for .net/sql

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:
­

What do you suggest instead?  There are a lot of jobs out there for .net/sql

­
Somehow get to be an expert at SAP or Peoplesoft. Even being a good Cobol coder should keep you making good coin for the forseeable future.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
Somehow get to be an expert at SAP or Peoplesoft. Even being a good Cobol coder should keep you making good coin for the forseeable future.

somehow is the keyword.  I don't do that stuff at work

Posted by Original_Lonley_Guy_

. said:

somehow is the keyword.  I don't do that stuff at work

­
Time to read some Barbara Sher about finding your way to what you want. Otherwise you are trapped in Jack of All Trades hell.

Posted by .
Unregistered

Just specialize in something, retardo

Posted by .
Unregistered

Original_Lonley_Guy_ said:
­
Time to read some Barbara Sher about finding your way to what you want. Otherwise you are trapped in Jack of All Trades hell.

Jack of all trades has worked out for me. :shrug: But I agree for most it's probably a bad strategy.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
Jack of all trades has worked out for me. :shrug: But I agree for most it's probably a bad strategy.

You have to be really good at what you do for this to work. If you are, you can bring invaluable cross-domain experience.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:

+1
It would get boring to do the same thing all the time.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.