Topic: Fulbright scholar Michael Gilmor dead at 22-23
Posted by .
Unregistered

Obituary says he passed suddenly. He wasn't in the news for an accident so it's likely an overdose or suicide. He sounded like he had everything going for him in this 2017 interview.

Posted by teapots.nli
Unregistered

Providence my ass amirite?

Posted by .
Unregistered

This just shows that anyone can die at anytime, including you and me. Don't be so arrogant and STUPID to assume that you have many more years to live.

Enjoy life now. Spend your money now. Live life like you won't see 2019...because you may not.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: This just shows that anyone can die at anytime, including you and me. Don't be so arrogant and STUPID to assume that you have many more years to live.

Enjoy life now. Spend your money now. Live life like you won't see 2019...because you may not.

If you spend your money now you won't have any left for your golden years and will end up homeless. When you're in your 70s and 80s is when you really start enjoying life.

Posted by .
Unregistered

I'd guess it was a suicide.  Guys like him are not all that likely to do drugs, but the high intelligence often puts them in an existential crisis by questioning whether anything in life makes any sense.

Here is a note about his death from Poland where he was teaching English in 2017/18 and seemed to have left a very positive impression:

https://4lomza.pl/index.php?wiad=49813

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
If you spend your money now you won't have any left for your golden years and will end up homeless. When you're in your 70s and 80s is when you really start enjoying life.

­
bullshit, you lying bastard!

When you're in your seventies & eighties, you will be losing your eyesight and your hearing, if you haven't lost it already. You would have lost your strength. You will be in constant body pain due to arthritis and gout. You will look old, wrinkled, ugly, & weak.

You would have already undergone major  heart or some other major surgery or you will undergo it very soon. You have to be very careful about what you eat & drink. You have to be very carefully not to over-exert yourself. You may not be able to travel. You may be bed-ridden.

Truth is, most people in their seventies or older would rather be dead than living the way they do.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
bullshit, you lying bastard!

When you're in your seventies & eighties, you will be losing your eyesight and your hearing, if you haven't lost it already. You would have lost your strength. You will be in constant body pain due to arthritis and gout. You will look old, wrinkled, ugly, & weak.

You would have already undergone major  heart or some other major surgery or you will undergo it very soon. You have to be very careful about what you eat & drink. You have to be very carefully not to over-exert yourself. You may not be able to travel. You may be bed-ridden.

Truth is, most people in their seventies or older would rather be dead than living the way they do.

This 82 year old hiked the 2,200 mile Appalachian Trail.

http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/2017/10/27/82-year-old-finishes-appalachian-trail-becomes-oldest-to-ever-complete-hike.html

80 is the new 40. With advances in medicine most of us will have the ability to do extreme activities like the 82 year old hiker possibly into our 90s. I can't wait!

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:

http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/2017/10/27/82-year-old-finishes-appalachian-trail-becomes-oldest-to-ever-complete-hike.html

80 is the new 40. With advances in medicine most of us will have the ability to do extreme activities like the 82 year old hiker possibly into our 90s. I can't wait!

­
:dumbass: :rolleyes:

Yep a few exceptions means everyone will live till 100 with no health problems, right? 

Put some more effort into your troll.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:

I agree. Eighty year old Yuichiro Miura climbed Mt. Everest a few years back. For those of you who don't know, Mt Everest is the tallest mountain in the world. By the time most of us reach eighty, healthy people in their nineties will be owning the shit out of Everest.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
:dumbass: :rolleyes:

Yep a few exceptions means everyone will live till 100 with no health problems, right? 

Put some more effort into your troll.

Yeah, I usually accuse posters of being trolls when I'm losing too. :lol:

Posted by .
Unregistered

Check this out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/sports/ed-whitlock-marathon-running.html

If you think running a marathon is tough well think again.

"85-Year-Old Marathoner Is So Fast That Even Scientists Marvel"

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: I'd guess it was a suicide.  Guys like him are not all that likely to do drugs, but the high intelligence often puts them in an existential crisis by questioning whether anything in life makes any sense.

Here is a note about his death from Poland where he was teaching English in 2017/18 and seemed to have left a very positive impression:

https://4lomza.pl/index.php?wiad=49813

­
nothing in life makes sense. thats been the consensus amongst philosophers since forever. how old is ecclesiastes.

that guy, like many ivy league suicides before him, are very driven high achievers that cram for the SAT, do token volunteering to pad their resume for the.ivy league admission review board. they are efficient little robots that end up in high paying wall.street jobs or prestigious law firms making a lot of money but you never hear about.them afterwards because they never contributed anything special.

perhaps he received a bad evaluation on his perfect resume and that was all it took to make him crack. like that michelin chef who killed himself after loaing one star in the michelin guide.

thats not.inteligence

Posted by .
Unregistered

He died of an aortic aneurysm, so it was just bad luck.

https://news.providence.edu/biochemistry-major-bound-poland-prestigious-fulbright-program

(Editor’s note: Michael Gilmor ’17 died on Aug. 25, 2018, from an aortic aneurysm, after completing his Fulbright year in Poland.)
By Vicki-Ann Downing

Of the many paths open to a biochemistry major after graduation, Michael Gilmor ’17 (Huntington, N.Y.) will pursue an unexpected one: He will travel to Poland to teach English to college students through the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program.

Gilmor is one of only 15 students in the United States selected by the Fulbright U.S. Student Program to teach in Poland. He chose the country because it welcomes teaching assistants with science backgrounds and because his great-grandparents were born there. Proficiency in the language is not required, but Gilmor plans to study it before leaving for Europe in late summer.

“I’m nervous, but I am so excited,” said Gilmor. “Medical school was always an option for me, and I’ve also thought about grad school and law school. This definitely opens new doors.”

Gilmor is the 10th Providence College student since 2011, and the first PC science major, to receive an award from the Fulbright Program, the flagship international exchange program of the U.S. government. Each year, the program sends 1,700 scholars to more than 155 countries to engage in study, research, or teaching.

Gilmor learned about the Fulbright Program through a friend, Vincent Whalen ’15, who was awarded a teaching assistantship to Spain and now is a graduate student at Duke University.

“We were in touch the entire time he was over there,” said Gilmor. “He helped me with my essay and guided me throughout the process. I couldn’t have done it without him.”

Gilmor is a teaching assistant in the laboratory of Dr. Kenneth R. Overly, associate professor of chemistry. A member of the Liberal Arts Honors Program, he entered PC as a chemistry major, inspired by a high school teacher with whom he still keeps in touch. But a class in biochemistry — the chemistry of living organisms — convinced him to change his major in his junior year, even though it meant additional course requirements.

“‘Give me more of this’ was his approach,” said Overly. “It’s refreshing when you get a student who’s responsive and says, ‘Tell me more.’ He has that attitude day in and day out. He is really special: remarkably mature and engaged, and on top of that, he has really strong academic credentials. He’s happy where he’s at, and it shows.

“He loves what he’s doing and that comes through in the quality of his work. He’s enjoying life to the fullest. At the same time, his grades are really good. He’s a delight to have in the classroom.”

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: Check this out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/sports/ed-whitlock-marathon-running.html

If you think running a marathon is tough well think again.

"85-Year-Old Marathoner Is So Fast That Even Scientists Marvel"

Unfortunately, Ed passed away not long after that.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: He died of an aortic aneurysm, so it was just bad luck.

:hmmm: Interdasting... and quite rare, *if true*. I've found nothing on Google about it. 

What a terrible combination - an exceptional brain and a shitty aorta that cancels all talents, prospects and dreams this early in life.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
:hmmm: Interdasting... and quite rare, *if true*. I've found nothing on Google about it. 

What a terrible combination - an exceptional brain and a shitty aorta that cancels all talents, prospects and dreams this early in life.

­
The link I posted had added the note about the aortic aneurysm. It looks to be extremely rare at that age and from his picture he looked like he was in shape. One cause is infection, maybe he picked up some weird bug in Poland or some other place in his travels.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
. said:

­
The link I posted had added the note about the aortic aneurysm. It looks to be extremely rare at that age and from his picture he looked like he was in shape. One cause is infection, maybe he picked up some weird bug in Poland or some other place in his travels.

­

Clearly :gribs:

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:

Yeah, he was destined to be the next Einstein. :rolleyes:

Posted by .
Unregistered

Who wrote this post?? You have no grounds to be spreading rumors about the cause of his death. So disrespectful.

Posted by .
Unregistered

GRIBS?

Posted by .
Unregistered

How sad that the immediate thought was suicide. And the assumption that he was an "ivy league asshole". Michael was so far from that. Kind, funny, bright. The first kid to step up and help. He volunteered because he truly wanted to help. This is a tragic loss for us all. Take a moment to do something kind... just because it's the right thing to do.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: How sad that the immediate thought was suicide. And the assumption that he was an "ivy league asshole". Michael was so far from that. Kind, funny, bright. The first kid to step up and help. He volunteered because he truly wanted to help. This is a tragic loss for us all. Take a moment to do something kind... just because it's the right thing to do.

­
So is there anything we can learn from his death? Did the condition run in his family? Do they know the cause? You can raise awareness of aortic aneurysms especially since it's rare to hear of it happening to someone so young.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
So is there anything we can learn from his death? Did the condition run in his family? Do they know the cause? You can raise awareness of aortic aneurysms especially since it's rare to hear of it happening to someone so young.

­
Young healthy successful people die every day, don't act so surprised. If not an aortic aneurysm, it's a car accident or murder or suicide or freak accident.

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said:
­
Young healthy successful people die every day, don't act so surprised. If not an aortic aneurysm, it's a car accident or murder or suicide or freak accident.

­
So you were pretending to know him?

Posted by .
Unregistered

. said: How sad that the immediate thought was suicide. And the assumption that he was an "ivy league asshole". Michael was so far from that. Kind, funny, bright. The first kid to step up and help. He volunteered because he truly wanted to help. This is a tragic loss for us all. Take a moment to do something kind... just because it's the right thing to do.

­
Why is it sad that we thought of suicide? It's one of the more likely scenarios for a young person in fact.  Thousands of people die by their own hand each year,  often without any prior signs that they are heading in that direction. 

I didn't know him or his family so I'm neither sad nor happy, but certainly very curious about the cause of death.

Quick Reply
Moniker:

Registration Required

Thank you for your vote!

But in order to make it count, you must be a registered user.