F2 Navigation   |  Options  |  Login  |  Register  |  Status  |  FAQ  |  Upload Pics  |  Work-Safe Bookmark and Share

Back to Index | Reply to Topic

Page: 1 2 3 4 5  | Previous  Next | First  Last

Torn between Computer Programming degree vs Accounting degree
Unregistered

I am passionate about technology don't get me wrong. It's just hard to keep up with technology rapidly changing. I do like the changes though. I am just wondering about layoffs when I am 50. I'm thinking they will replace me with a younger person that is cheaper for the company or even outsourcing my job which is worse. Also who knows what new programming languages will be like in ten years from now?

I am intrigued by Accounting. I can see myself retiring from a company that I have been at for a very long time. There are also many different fields of Accounting I can apply it to. Also every company needs an Accountant. It's more stable than the I.T. field.

I don't want to be "rich" just comfortable. If someone here is an Accountant or a I.T. guy please give me some advice. Thank you.
t
oast

3382 posts

For the love of God, don't do either.
Unregistered

Programming = dead end
Unregistered

t said:For the love of God, don't do either.

I thought Accountants were in demand?

What would you recommend?
Unregistered

. said:Programming = dead end

Seriously?
Unregistered

Accounting is never going to go away.
Unregistered

Why not both? Then you can write your own ticket.
cyclist
dances with cars

3372 posts

. said:Accounting is never going to go away.

jesus christ yes, eventually go towards an MBA in accounting and finance. work as a stock broker, whatever.
Unregistered

But you're becoming in less demand as technology makes things easier.

If you want job security become a Teacher, you don't have to be any good and it's difficult to get fired.
Unregistered

. said:I am passionate about technology don't get me wrong. It's just hard to keep up with technology rapidly changing. I do like the changes though. I am just wondering about layoffs when I am 50. I'm thinking they will replace me with a younger person that is cheaper for the company or even outsourcing my job which is worse. Also who knows what new programming languages will be like in ten years from now?

I am intrigued by Accounting. I can see myself retiring from a company that I have been at for a very long time. There are also many different fields of Accounting I can apply it to. Also every company needs an Accountant. It's more stable than the I.T. field.

I don't want to be "rich" just comfortable. If someone here is an Accountant or a I.T. guy please give me some advice. Thank you.

Accounting is over saturated and full of curries and chinks. They are churning those tards out at a ridiculous rate.

It's all behind the curve. Programming is very viable if you are good at it and can actually talk to people.
Unregistered

say "FUCK YOU, SOCIETY!!" and study ART! DO IT!!!
Unregistered

. said:Accounting is over saturated and full of curries and chinks. They are churning those tards out at a ridiculous rate.

It's all behind the curve. Programming is very viable if you are good at it and can actually talk to people.

Why not both?
Unregistered

. said:Accounting is over saturated and full of curries and chinks. They are churning those tards out at a ridiculous rate.

Let me add to this. Education is a sleazy industry based on loans and empty promises. How else do you explain cow colleges like UNR offering MBA's?
Unregistered

. said:say "FUCK YOU, SOCIETY!!" and study ART! DO IT!!!

Oddly enough that is the best preparation for starting your own business I can think of. Numbers are easy, understanding humanity is hard.
Unregistered

. said:
. said:say "FUCK YOU, SOCIETY!!" and study ART! DO IT!!!

Oddly enough that is the best preparation for starting your own business I can think of. Numbers are easy, understanding humanity is hard.

How many ledgers are hanging in museums influencing society?
Unregistered

. said:Let me add to this. Education is a sleazy industry based on loans and empty promises. How else do you explain cow colleges like UNR offering MBA's?

There is a book out there that talks about this, the title is "worthless" :lol:
t
oast

3382 posts

. said:I thought Accountants were in demand?

Work outside. Be a park ranger.
Unregistered

t said:
. said:I thought Accountants were in demand?

Work outside. Be a park ranger.

Don't care to relocate to Wyoming
t
oast

3382 posts

. said:Don't care to relocate to Wyoming

:facepalm: Have fun sitting in a cubicle for 1/3 to 1/2 of the rest of your life.
Unregistered

t said: :facepalm: Have fun sitting in a cubicle for 1/3 to 1/2 of the rest of your life.

rather be a sgt in LA like Joe Friday
Unregistered

Get an accounting degree, take four programming classes that you can prove you did tough programming work. Learn to program. Working at a high level in Excel or with an ERP system is basically programming anyway, just without having to worry about overrunning a buffer and other low level shit. Go for a minor in CS if you cna swing it.
Unregistered

Either one is fine, but you shouldn't actually have a long-term career as a programmer or accountant.

Option 1: Computer Engineering + Top 5 MBA = Tech Investment Banking or Venture Capital, with fallback option to work as IT trev if needed.

Option 2: Computer Engineering + Top 10 Law School = Patent Lawyer, with fallback option to work as IT trev if needed.

Option 3: Accounting + 2 Years Audit Work Experience (CPA) + Top 10 Law School = Tax Lawyer, with fallback option to work as CPA accountant if needed.

Stack you credentials in a way that very few people can compete against you.
t
oast

3382 posts

. said: Working at a high level in Excel or with an ERP system is basically programming anyway

:rofl: !
cyclist
dances with cars

3372 posts

. said:Either one is fine, but you shouldn't actually have a long-term career as a programmer or accountant.

Stack you credentials in a way that very few people can compete against you.

^this
BobHopesColostomyBag
Ripe Cerignola Olives

22076 posts

some of the richest guys I know are accountants who learned the game. They paid their dues doing the grinding work and then they learned the law, the tax code and how it worked in the real world and how to read a company to its core.

I know one guy in the Alberta oil patch that went from poor farm boy to accountant to $30 million in wealth in one deal.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5  | Previous  Next | First  Last

Back to Index | Reply to Topic

Quick Reply
Moniker: