Massive, Garrisoned, heavily defended compounds for the .02% super wealthy. Only those with over $50M net worf need apply. These will be in select locations, the last few places where people actually want to live. So, something in the Boston area, New York City/Long Island, Something in the southeast, perhaps in the Atlanta area, but that could just implode and no one will give a shit. LA for sure, and I think old microsoft money can justify a fortress somewhere in Seattle.
The rest of the country will descend even further into abject 3rd world squalor while all the public governmental institutions left standing will squabble over how to make our worthless crotchfruit feel 'self esteem'. There may be some hope for the more attractive female youth, who will be recruited by billionaires for teen harems and breeding farms.
Commercial airlines will be gone, replaced by a few ultra luxury Golfstreams jetting back and forth well above the thriving gulags of stupid poor people ravaging what is left of the poisoned agri-farms that used to crank out massive amounts of corn and wheat. Fast food, gone, no one will be able to afford even a .99 Big Mac. Auto industry has been gone for years, and the government false front propping it up will finally collapse when we default on our Chinese interest payments.
Perhaps, after 20 years or so of absolute decimation on the heartland, thriving hoards of Chinese and Mexicans will invade, and remake America into their own vision. Only then will the super-rich get nervous, as they know home-born native Americans have long since been divested of any will to fight, think for themselves, or do anything except waddle from TV to Fast Food joint.
They have taken over the means of production from the US. Or, to put it plainly, they have the value adding industrial infrastructure that once made USA rich. Americans only have grifter schemes left. Their long term outlook is much better than Americas.
I don't think that any currency will survive the upcoming situations. When you combine the ultra-low cost of speculative trading, derivatives on derivatives, and interconnectedness (and lack of firewalls) of markets, you can essentially count on flash crashes and feedback induced drops in currency value.
The more disconnected 'money', in whatever form, is from value, the more trouble you can get into.
No. They have slave labor. Refitting for manufacture isn't a huge deal you make it out to be. The chinks did it fast. The Nazis did it fast, particularly two years into the war. Soviet industrialization was absolutely amazing.
We know how that worked out for the latter two.
Stop pretending that warehouses where barely trained chinks snap together plastics is some sort of economic miracle that can't be reproduced.
BUT THEY MAKE STEEL NOW! ALL PRAISE THE AUTHORITARIAN STATE!
Good. Welcome to 1935. The rest of the world has moved on.
Posted 2/20/2011 6:03 pm
Soon there will be national protests by government workers and sympathizers calling for help from the federal government. There will be those opposed to the protestors and small skirmishes will break out between the two factions. Later the two factions will become radicalized and there will be violence. Riots and marshal law will follow.
1) The US has lots of food. It is a net exporter unlike many other countries. Lots of farmland, crops and livestock.
2) The US as lots of water unlike other countries (Africa, Middle East, etc.). So, we won't have a problem there.
3) The US has a problem with being dependent on other countries for oil. We need to break that. We need to get nuclear reactors up and running (France gets 70% of their electric needs from nuclear) and we need to get fusion working and done to take care of our energy needs going forward. Fusion would allow us unlimited clean energy.
4) The US government spends a fuck of a lot more than it takes in. Who should worry about that? US debt holders because if the SHTF, the country can literally tell them to fuck off. The government needs to get spending under control and then we need some reasonable inflation to bring the cost of the debt payments down. A few years of 10% inflation would bring the debt under control after spending cuts.
5) Population of the US is not out of control. In fact, without immigrants and immigration, we'd be losing people.
6) Those who worry about "the dollar" should realize they don't have their money "in dollars". People have their money in stock, homes, cars and other things. They get paid in dollars so they need to keep getting raises if the dollar loses value. But otherwise, who the fuck cares.
TBill holders. That's who should care. People who hold government debt. Do you hold tbills? No? Then shut the fuck up about the dollar. You have no horse in the race.
7) The US has a reasonable democracy, better than a lot others. We probably have riots with people getting mowed down as in other countries because we get to vote these fuckers out every once and a while.
Posted 2/20/2011 6:13 pm
Fiefdoms following the general political view of each. I would think the Constitution would basically be intact, but the fiefdoms would retain much stronger control over their individual rights. I also think the fiefdoms will subtly align by race and religion. Food will be produced more locally, with corporate agribusiness turning to servicing growers through distribution only. Fresh produce will again become a luxury and seasonal.